For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > Sports Discussion

Old 11-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #7661
Fernando
LeBron James is a bitch

I think Unitas gets way too much credit. Idc. He probably wouldn't even make my top ten if we were drafting all time. Wtf did he do? I'm supposed to idolize him cause he wore high top shoes?
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #7662
Jughead
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
I think Unitas gets way too much credit. Idc. He probably wouldn't even make my top ten if we were drafting all time. Wtf did he do? I'm supposed to idolize him cause he wore high top shoes?
His stats obviously don't stand the test of time, but when you compare him to others in his era, he was by far the best player at his position up until that point.
Jughead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #7663
Don Vito
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
One more ring makes it undebateable.

I think the arguments are for Unitas over him (old old schoolers) and Montana over him (old schoolers).

I can understand the arguments for both, but I view Brady as basically a superior version of Joe, and Unitas just played in a different era, and overall body of work I have to give Tom over him.

But if he wins another ring, there's literally no debate in my eyes. For now you can kinda debate it, but if he gets 5, there's no more discussions about it.
Which makes me hate the Jamie Collins trade that much more. 24 hours ago Collins was viewed by Pats fans as one of the best defensive players in the league, and now our fans think he sucks. Our fanbase sucks.

And Jughead, I honestly thinks when he can't get it done anymore he will walk away. He takes great care of himself so I really believe he has a few more good years in him, but he's been very adamant about hangin me up when he can't play at the level we are accustomed to. Of course everyone says that but I think he doesn't want to fuck up his legacy.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #7664
Babylon
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Knd of hard to criticize someone you basically know nothing about.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:51 PM   #7665
Zach
Legend

I didn't even know Unitas went to San Diego tbh.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #7666
Babylon
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
That's cause he didn't.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #7667
Jughead
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Yup, after going back and forth between starter and backup his last 3-4 years in Baltimore.
Jughead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #7668
bigbluedefense
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
For him to do what he did in his era, is pretty remarkable. You can't do a black and white comparison, you have to see how dominant he was in his era, and when you evaluate the delta, you'll see that Unitas really was far ahead of his time. Not to mention that he called the offense (as did every qb back then), so there's no OC, just the playbook and the qb. And the savagery of the old school game and how difficult they made it to pass the ball during that era.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #7669
BeerBaron
Super Senior Member

My issue isn't with Unitas himself, but with the old fogies who declare that there is absolutely no way anyone will ever be better. Him and Jim Brown seem to get that treatment. No matter who comes along and no matter how good they are, no one will ever be better.

It's so flawed and irritating. I can't wait until those types are gone.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #7670
bigbluedefense
LeBron James is a bitch

They'll always exist. They'll just refer to a different era of players.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #7671
Don Vito
Super Senior Member

I honestly can't say I've heard many if any people say Unitas is the best ever. Montana comes up obviously, but I don't hear people bringing up Unitas as the goat.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #7672
Zach
Legend

I mean, I don't think Barry Sanders can ever be topped.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #7673
Don Vito
Super Senior Member

Quote:
I mean, I don't think Barry Sanders can ever be topped.
I have a hard time believing there will ever be another Barry Sanders.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #7674
Zach
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I have a hard time believing there will ever be another Barry Sanders.
Would you consider him the GOAT like I do?
Old 11-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #7675
Don Vito
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Would you consider him the GOAT like I do?
I would. I'm 26 so I have really fully seen a goat candidate in my generation with I guess the possible exception of AD, but I would say Sanders is the best. Obviously I can't fully appreciate them, but I'd put Payton and Jim Brown behind him at 2 and 3.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #7676
Zach
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I would. I'm 26 so I have really fully seen a goat candidate in my generation with I guess the possible exception of AD, but I would say Sanders is the best. Obviously I can't fully appreciate them, but I'd put Payton and Jim Brown behind him at 2 and 3.
I am the same, being 27. Payton was too short, as was Bo Jackson. Jim Brown is always going to be a legend to people, and LT was up there. The only think I thing of is if Barry was switched with Emmitt teams wise.... Holy shit. So many carries for Barry he was hit at the LOS or before, if he could get a head start.... Oh man.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #7677
Babylon
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
My issue isn't with Unitas himself, but with the old fogies who declare that there is absolutely no way anyone will ever be better. Him and Jim Brown seem to get that treatment. No matter who comes along and no matter how good they are, no one will ever be better.

It's so flawed and irritating. I can't wait until those types are gone.
You do realize you sound just like Brodie.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #7678
bigbluedefense
LeBron James is a bitch

Barry was dominant, but also very hot and cold. He's the kind of guy who history views favorably bc his highlight reels look better than his career.

Barry is a top 3 RB of all time to me, but I can't put him at 1. A lot of his runs that went for losses or no gains were his own fault, he was notorious for trying to take it to the house every touch instead of getting those 4 yards. He had some awful playoff performances where he had 10 yards for the whole game.

Through all my criticism of him, he's still the 2nd maybe 3rd best ever to me. But he's not the best.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #7679
Zach
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Barry was dominant, but also very hot and cold. He's the kind of guy who history views favorably bc his highlight reels look better than his career.

Barry is a top 3 RB of all time to me, but I can't put him at 1. A lot of his runs that went for losses or no gains were his own fault, he was notorious for trying to take it to the house every touch instead of getting those 4 yards. He had some awful playoff performances where he had 10 yards for the whole game.

Through all my criticism of him, he's still the 2nd maybe 3rd best ever to me. But he's not the best.
A OL from my city in Richlands was an OL for Barry during his time in Detroit. He also was on the Patriots for the first two Super Bowls with Brady. He told me that he regrets Barry not having an adequate OL or he would have broken many records.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #7680
BeerBaron
Super Senior Member

Quote:
I am the same, being 27. Payton was too short, as was Bo Jackson. Jim Brown is always going to be a legend to people, and LT was up there. The only think I thing of is if Barry was switched with Emmitt teams wise.... Holy shit. So many carries for Barry he was hit at the LOS or before, if he could get a head start.... Oh man.
A 13 year career where he retired as the all time leading rusher and leader in scrimmage yards (and is still 2nd and 3rd, respectively) is "short" how?

Rank him how you'll rank him but that is an utterly bizarre criticism.

Tags
cooper cuck, fuck tom brady, is joe flacco a elite qb?, kaepernick sucks, mariota is bad, new england hot takes, rgiii sucks, sensitive bitch brady, tim brandy=sheep, tom brady =goat, tomlin = overrated