For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > Sports Discussion > Individual Team Threads

Old 11-18-2019, 01:24 AM   #13641
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
John Owning
@JohnOwning

Not the best day for Darian Thompson. All22 will tell the true story but he appeared to deserve at least partial blame on 3 of DET's TDs.
I guess the rookie just made too many plays in the preseason to let him play?
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:53 AM   #13642
dsc1600
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Hes been great this year overall. Ball placement has gotten better especially these last few games. Hes being more decisive, a much better pocket passer, using the whole field, not holding the ball too long and running into sacks. Started audibling at the LOS. I have no complaints with Dak, I'd still feel uneasy about paying him 35M+ but he's growing on me lol.
Lol that’s big of you to admit. Even I didn’t think he’d be this good. And yet we’re still 6-4....
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #13643
Witten4hof

Quote:
Hes been great this year overall. Ball placement has gotten better especially these last few games. Hes being more decisive, a much better pocket passer, using the whole field, not holding the ball too long and running into sacks. Started audibling at the LOS. I have no complaints with Dak, I'd still feel uneasy about paying him 35M+ but he's growing on me lol.
Wow, it is weird to log back and see Pocket saying luke warm comments about Dak hahaha
Witten4hof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #13644
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4hof View Post
Wow, it is weird to log back and see Pocket saying luke warm comments about Dak hahaha
I say what I see. Coming into this year Dak had 5 career 300 yard games. This year he's AVERAGING 300+ and he's corrected a lot of his flaws. Major props to him. I seem to remember you agreed with me on a lot of what I said too haha.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #13645
Witten4hof

Quote:
I say what I see. Coming into this year Dak had 5 career 300 yard games. This year he's AVERAGING 300+ and he's corrected a lot of his flaws. Major props to him. I seem to remember you agreed with me on a lot of what I said too haha.
Absolutely, have to give Dak a ton of credit for the way he is playing right now. He has been playing with a ton of confidence and is seeing the field well.

I think that the talent level around him has continued to improve, making his job a little easier. The WR corps in all has been really good, teams have been defending in a lot of man coverage on the outside and our guys have capitalized all season. Cooper is a monster and is almost unguardable without help. Gallup has cleaned up his releases and has had some nice games and Cobb is coming on strong out of the slot.

I also the O-LINE has been outstanding in pass protection. Tyron and Martin are lock down, La'el has been playing at a pro bowl level, and Frederick has steadied the ship inside. With teams loading up the box it can get confusing on who to block and who is going to bail into coverage. For the most part they have been up to the task and provided Dak with clean pockets for big throws down the field.

Without both, I think his flaws would be magnified. He still gets himself into trouble trying to launch the ball deep in coverage, late. He has become adept at reading the coverage and putting the ball to a spot but he simply doesn't have the arm strength to force the ball into tight windows after the initial reads. When he does, the pass tends to sail allowing for coverage to rally to a 50/50 ball. He also tend to have issues with ball placement shallow crossing routes and slants. Still puts the ball to the back shoulder and behind the WR rather then leading out front. We've seen a ton of passes where the defender is able to get his hand on the ball or it is popped up into the air leading to an interception.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #13646
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4hof View Post
Absolutely, have to give Dak a ton of credit for the way he is playing right now. He has been playing with a ton of confidence and is seeing the field well.

I think that the talent level around him has continued to improve, making his job a little easier. The WR corps in all has been really good, teams have been defending in a lot of man coverage on the outside and our guys have capitalized all season. Cooper is a monster and is almost unguardable without help. Gallup has cleaned up his releases and has had some nice games and Cobb is coming on strong out of the slot.

I also the O-LINE has been outstanding in pass protection. Tyron and Martin are lock down, La'el has been playing at a pro bowl level, and Frederick has steadied the ship inside. With teams loading up the box it can get confusing on who to block and who is going to bail into coverage. For the most part they have been up to the task and provided Dak with clean pockets for big throws down the field.

Without both, I think his flaws would be magnified. He still gets himself into trouble trying to launch the ball deep in coverage, late. He has become adept at reading the coverage and putting the ball to a spot but he simply doesn't have the arm strength to force the ball into tight windows after the initial reads. When he does, the pass tends to sail allowing for coverage to rally to a 50/50 ball. He also tend to have issues with ball placement shallow crossing routes and slants. Still puts the ball to the back shoulder and behind the WR rather then leading out front. We've seen a ton of passes where the defender is able to get his hand on the ball or it is popped up into the air leading to an interception.
This has always been my biggest complaint with Dak and he was having issues with it earlier in the year, it seems to have gotten better the last few games. Hes not taking as many sacks and extending plays with his feet which has been huge for this offense. We'll know a lot more this weekend, he'll being facing a legit D in a hard place to win. Hopefully we'll find a way to win but theres such a coaching mismatch its highly unlikely.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #13647
Fresh!
Super Senior Member

A huge misnomer is teams are loading the box. Zeke hasn’t really caused that type of attention this year. Dak has been beating defenses that are playing the pass. It’s great to see!

Eagles fans are ready to revolt against Carson. He’s making the same mistakes and decisions he did as a rookie.
Whew boy did I want the Cowboys to trade up for him that draft.

Definitely appreciating the improvements dak has made!

Last edited by Fresh!; 11-18-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Fresh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #13648
Fernando
LeBron James is a bitch

After being so wishy washy about it before, I’m all aboard the Dak train.

Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #13649
Witten4hof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh! View Post
A huge misnomer is teams are loading the box. Zeke hasn’t really caused that type of attention this year. Dak has been beating defenses that are playing the pass. It’s great to see!

Eagles fans are ready to revolt against Carson. He’s making the same mistakes and decisions he did as a rookie.
Whew boy did I want the Cowboys to trade up for him that draft.

Definitely appreciating the improvements dak has made!
I disagree, defenses are still running inside out coverage underneath in our base packages. They are lining LB's 2 yards off the ball in the inside gaps along with the safety's running shallow. At the snap of the ball they are bailing into zone coverage if they read pass.

By design the alignment allows for players to take advantage if a run play is called but also deters the underneath routes as players drop into coverage. This is even more effective considering Witten is no longer a threat in the seem due to his lack of speed and that we typically don't use Zeke in any downfield routes that would threaten the defense vertically.

The weakness in this defense is that there are more one vs one opportunities on the outside. Our wideouts have seen a ton of man coverage, taken advantage of it and to Dak's credit, he has been patient and capitalized on those opportunities for big plays.

Last edited by Witten4hof; 11-18-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:15 PM   #13650
dsc1600
Super Senior Member

Anthony Brown out for the year.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #13651
dsc1600
Super Senior Member

looking forward to the rest of the season, unfortunately week 16 is looking like a win or go home game unless the Eagles really implode.

They have 4 easy games against 3 of the 5 worst teams in the league. Even if they lose to the Seahawks they’ll likely be 8-6 when they face us and I doubt we’ll be better than 9-5. If the Eagles win the game against Dallas, they’ll have the same record against us, same divisional record and a better record against common teams assuming we lose to the Pats.

The atrocious Jets loss may be the straw that broke the camels back when it comes to Garrett’s tenure here.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #13652
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
looking forward to the rest of the season, unfortunately week 16 is looking like a win or go home game unless the Eagles really implode.

They have 4 easy games against 3 of the 5 worst teams in the league. Even if they lose to the Seahawks they’ll likely be 8-6 when they face us and I doubt we’ll be better than 9-5. If the Eagles win the game against Dallas, they’ll have the same record against us, same divisional record and a better record against common teams assuming we lose to the Pats.

The atrocious Jets loss may be the straw that broke the camels back when it comes to Garrett’s tenure here.
I hope Garrett is gone regardless of the outcome of the season. Have my doubts with Jerry running things but if he does fire him, who do you see us hiring? Not who you want but who you think he’d hire?
Old 11-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #13653
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Riley or Urban please.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #13654
dsc1600
Super Senior Member

Quote:
I hope Garrett is gone regardless of the outcome of the season. Have my doubts with Jerry running things but if he does fire him, who do you see us hiring? Not who you want but who you think he’d hire?
It’s a tricky situation because you don’t want to lose Moore. If you bring in an offensive coach I assume he’ll either call plays or bring in his own guy that he likes.

Of course we know Jerry wants a puppet that will let him play gm and listen to the coaches meetings etc...
Old 11-19-2019, 09:23 PM   #13655
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
It’s a tricky situation because you don’t want to lose Moore. If you bring in an offensive coach I assume he’ll either call plays or bring in his own guy that he likes.

Of course we know Jerry wants a puppet that will let him play gm and listen to the coaches meetings etc...
That’s the problem. The new coach will have to give Jerry full control and will have no say in what coaches can be brought in. It’s basically you’re the HC and this is your staff and players, now go win with them. Only a puppet would agree to those terms. May as well keep Garrett if that’s what Jerry is looking for. Makes no difference.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:25 PM   #13656
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Riley or Urban please.
Being in Oklahoma, I’d be shocked if Riley would leave what he has to coach under Jerry. Urban doesn’t move the needle for me.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #13657
thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Riley or Urban please.
Ive seen you mention Urban a few times. He is a big time recruiter but what do you actually like about him? He is not an NFL guy imo.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #13658
thule

Quote:
Jerry hired Parcells. Winning over everything else.

My pipe dream is still trying to recruit saban. Hes about to miss the CFB playoffs for the first time. What left does he have to accomplish at the college leve? Our biggest problem is that Saban gave Garrett his first NFL coaching job and that might be awkward.

My favorite reasoning behind Saban is this. Who is better prepared to work with the good pieces we have? Saban is used to replacing his OC and DC pretty much every year. I believe he would be perfectly fine having Kellen and Richard as his coordinators.

I man can dream.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
100 iq or less thread, broken bones romo, d unit is poor, fuck dez bryant, romo glass qb