For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2015, 10:38 PM   #1
BanTx
Super Senior Member

Default Hip Hop Thread

This was missing since we all moved over.

Current songs I'm listening to.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
OSUGiants
Super Senior Member

bantx knows whats good. Chance/SoX and Spooky Black have been in constant rotation for me for some time now. Really digging this song of SURF lately
Old 06-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
SP
Super Senior Member

Liked Surf, didn't love it. Really liked Warm Enough, Windows, Familiar and Questions.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:30 PM   #4
OSUGiants
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP View Post
Liked Surf, didn't love it. Really liked Warm Enough, Windows, Familiar and Questions.
that's how I feel. The songs I liked, I really liked. The songs I didn't like I can barely listen to. I'm with you on Warm Enough, Windows, Familiar, and Questions as well as Miracle, Slip Slide, Wanna be Cool and of course Sunday Candy. Sunday Candy might be my jam of the year

Anyone else listen to Ego Death (The Internet's new album) yet? I'm digging it so far.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:39 PM   #5
SP
Super Senior Member

I've listened to Just Sayin/I Tried at least 50 times since getting it last night lol. Love those 6 minutes so much that I haven't been able to listen to the whole album properly.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #6
OSUGiants
Super Senior Member

Quote:
I've listened to Just Sayin/I Tried at least 50 times since getting it last night lol. Love those 6 minutes so much that I haven't been able to listen to the whole album properly.
Favorite song on the album for sure. Other songs that stood out were Get Away, Special Affair, Go With It, Girl and Penthouse Cloud

Last edited by OSUGiants; 06-30-2015 at 11:50 PM.
OSUGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:52 AM   #7
TACKS
Super Senior Member

Meek should release a bunch of projects with just one song so his whole catalog would be made up of intro tracks. Listened to a little of his new album but once again the intro track "Lord Knows" completely outshines the rest of the project. Just another ridiculous banger.

*note-none of the official versions are on Youtube, they're all sped up & tampered with a little for copyright reasons
TACKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:33 AM   #8
OSUGiants
Super Senior Member

I can't stand meek. All of his projects and songs are the same. He just yells all the time. Heard one meek song heard em all
Old 07-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
SP
Super Senior Member

Old 07-05-2015, 04:21 AM   #10
wogitalia
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Got many other grime artists you'd recommend SP? Love the grime scene but it's terribly covered unless you're in the UK I find and it really limits the exposure.

Shutdown is the song that Beats have chosen for their Kyrgios ad during Wimbledon which is getting absurd play, be interesting to see if it can do anything over here, only been about 5 grime tracks that have done anything on our charts!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
SP
Super Senior Member

We're going through a bit of a revival with old and new artists taking it back to the roots at the moment. I'd put the whole scene in the hands of three guys.

Skepta, who basically runs Grime. He's the last of the original MCs that's still relevant (Dizzee, Wiley and Kano have all drifted away). His album is meant to drop sometime in the hopefully not too distant future. That's Not Me is still the greatest Grime banger of all time haha. His Soundcloud doesn't disappoint. Lukey's World, Nasty and Shutdown are all on repeat for me.

Then there's the two youngers. Stormzy has been making A LOT of noise since winning an award last year. He can a bit friendlier on the ear and is much more universal because of it, but he's kind of like Drake where you end up liking all of his songs (relatively new artist so doesn't have a lot) regardless. Know Me From is the banger but he's a lot more versatile than that. Don't know of any plans for an album any time soon, but when it does he'll probably takeover everything. Not going to wow you with his lyrics or anything but I can't help but like him.

Novelist is my favourite. Only 18 and has put out hardly anything but everything he does I love. He's the classic Grime artist that doesn't compromise anything and talks about life on the streets in an interesting, cinematic way. He reminds me so much of Dizzee before he sold out. Boy In Da Corner is my favourite Grime album ever and the songs Novelist puts out would fit on that album and not look out of place at all. If I had to play anyone a song that represents everything that the culture is about it would be Novelist's "Ignorant and Wot".

Outside of those three... Jme dropped "Integrity" recently. It's okay. Has a few catchy songs (Man Don't Care or Integrity). Krept and Konan dropped their debut album earlier today and there's quite a lot of buzz about them. They're more Hip-Hop but I'd still check it out. Called The Long Way Home and it has a mix of big British and American features (Skepta, Ed Sheeran, YG, Wiz, Rick Ross). I'm on my way to buy it from HMV whilst I'm writing this lol. Mainly to support the scene, I'm not in love with them, but they can rap well when they want to.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
wogitalia
Super Senior Member

Is it bad that I've been really enjoying Young Thug lately?

I don't even know why, I can't help but feel like I should hate it but I just end up liking far too many of his tracks, maybe it's just that he seems to get consistently great production behind him but it's like a guilty pleasure of late.

Also... I've only heard two T-Pain tracks where he raps but I've actually really liked both of them (which given I've hated absolutely everything else of his I've heard is pretty impressive!)
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #13
SP
Super Senior Member

Barter 6 is a classic. Constantly Hating, Dome and Amazing >>>>
Old 07-09-2015, 01:24 AM   #14
towelie
LeBron James is a bitch

stooopid

towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:26 AM   #15
Kyle
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Barter 6 is a classic. Constantly Hating, Dome and Amazing >>>>
Never Had It is fire.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:22 AM   #16
Rob S
LeBron James is a bitch

Thugger + Reggae Dance Hall Star + Jamie XX. Shouldn't work, but it's kind of on repeat for me.

Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:31 AM   #17
TACKS
Super Senior Member

Drizzy's response to Meek.

DRAKE - CHARGED UP

Last edited by TACKS; 07-27-2015 at 06:25 AM.
TACKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #18
BanTx
Super Senior Member

https://soundcloud.com/octobersveryo...back-freestyle

Drake is upset.

"Trigger fingers turn into Twitter fingers, you gettin bodied by a singin nigga"
Old 07-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #19
Paul
Super Senior Member

"Is it a world tour, or your girl's tour?"

Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #20
thenewfeature06
Super Senior Member

Yeah they played a little bit of it when I was turning onto my street and I just sat in my car like holyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I am more of a meek guy but dag
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote