For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
Grizzlegom
Headmaster

Default Star Wars Thread (SPOILERS!)

With the photo leak and all the promos I'm seeing for more sneak previews on MNF, I wanna talk some Star Wars.

Tickets are on sale for Episode VII at my local theater today too. How does everyone feel about it? Not gonna lie, it's weird to me that 30 years after the Battle of Endor, the two sides are STILL fighting for control of the galaxy. I always felt that the Empire would insta-crumble following Palpatine's death.
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Damix
Dictator

Don't care about the Star Wars 'purists', I'm excited.
Damix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Zak
LeBron James is a bitch

I'm getting excited as well but still 2 months away. I probably won't see it right away either.
Zak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
JoeJoeBrown
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
With the photo leak and all the promos I'm seeing for more sneak previews on MNF, I wanna talk some Star Wars.

Tickets are on sale for Episode VII at my local theater today too. How does everyone feel about it? Not gonna lie, it's weird to me that 30 years after the Battle of Endor, the two sides are STILL fighting for control of the galaxy. I always felt that the Empire would insta-crumble following Palpatine's death.
I like how they inserted lens flare into the promo poster. LOLZ
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
nepg
LeBron James is a bitch

I expect it to suck, but will definitely see it at least once. I am avoiding all information and previews.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:17 AM   #6
Zak
LeBron James is a bitch

Ok i'm now a little more excited.

Also think I'm in love with Daisy Ridley already.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:32 AM   #7
TheJayUNF
Super Senior Member

Space Balls >>>>>>>> Star Wars
TheJayUNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:51 AM   #8
fenikz
LeBron James is a bitch

so good omg
Old 10-20-2015, 02:55 AM   #9
TitansCJftw
Super Senior Member

well the other ones i really didnt give a fuck about(the 3 "new" ones) but gettin hype for this one
TitansCJftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Grizzlegom
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Don't care about the Star Wars 'purists', I'm excited.
I'm definitely no 'purist' but I am somewhat struggling with the changes from the expanded universe to what this future is going to be. I can't really fathom that Han and Leia didn't get married and have a million kids (they might have, but from what we've seen so far, it doesn't look like it).
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
iowatreat
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Not gonna lie, it's weird to me that 30 years after the Battle of Endor, the two sides are STILL fighting for control of the galaxy. I always felt that the Empire would insta-crumble following Palpatine's death.
So in no way am I anything more than an average fan of the Star Wars movies, and what's in the movies is basically all I know about the Star Wars universe.

With that said, I am also pretty confused how the Empire is still intact and the rebellion is still the rebellion. I'm assuming all that will be covered in the movie, but upon hearing there would be new movies for some reason I was thinking that the Republic would be back in place, and it would be about the re-rise and training of new Jedis, where either there was still a small subset from the Dark Side still or as they are being trained some split off to the dark side.

On the surface, not sure how I can wrap my head around the fact that basically the two most powerful figures from the Empire were killed, and yet their regime seemingly is still in place?

Also, based on the trailer and them showing the Vader mask, I really hope they don't play it off like the new guy was Vader's apprentice somehow.
iowatreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
cmarq83

Quote:
I'm definitely no 'purist' but I am somewhat struggling with the changes from the expanded universe to what this future is going to be. I can't really fathom that Han and Leia didn't get married and have a million kids (they might have, but from what we've seen so far, it doesn't look like it).
To be honest the majority of the expanded universe actually blows. Based on a lot of the rumors I've read, this actually seems like a fairly realistic future. Imagine after centuries of a republic, and then a totalitarian regime like the Empire there is suddenly nothing to stabilize the entire galaxy. The rebellion is really just an amalgamation of people with a common purpose of hating the empire, it's tough to transition from that to a Republic capable of uniting an entire galaxy in shambles, especially with plenty of the remnants of the empire remaining.

I'm also getting the sense that this isn't necessarily 'The Empire' but a pseudo fascist regime trying to stabilize the chaos of the past 30 years, almost more like a cult of the empire rather than the empire itself.

I think the narrative of someone young, alone, and talented with the force uniting the galaxy and struggling to bring order to the force is a good one and one that fits in with the general theme of the series, I don't see why it has to be Han and Leia's kids either.

Last edited by cmarq83; 10-20-2015 at 01:23 PM.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #13
iowatreat
Super Senior Member

So just read this little write up.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...019-story.html

Most of it is all speculation, but it does seem like 30 years later and there are still doubts about the rebellion and Jedi, hence why everything is still in disarray?

Also I guess JJ has said/alluded to Ren being obsessed with Vader, not necessarily connected to him at all.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #14
Jughead
LeBron James is a bitch

All the speculation makes it just sound like a New Hope all over again with different characters filling the same roles.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #15
JoeJoeBrown
Super Senior Member

I like the little cameo by Luke.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #16
Brent
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat View Post
With that said, I am also pretty confused how the Empire is still intact and the rebellion is still the rebellion. I'm assuming all that will be covered in the movie, but upon hearing there would be new movies for some reason I was thinking that the Republic would be back in place, and it would be about the re-rise and training of new Jedis, where either there was still a small subset from the Dark Side still or as they are being trained some split off to the dark side.

On the surface, not sure how I can wrap my head around the fact that basically the two most powerful figures from the Empire were killed, and yet their regime seemingly is still in place?
That would actually make sense; just because a regime's top people died doesn't mean they don't have all the systems in place to continue. All those soldiers need purpose. You cannot just unseat the largest governing force in the galaxy and then expect everyone to just figure things out. I like to think of them as Communist Russia after Lenin died.

The Rebels Alliance isn't all that different than a fringe revolutionary group.

Quote:
Also, based on the trailer and them showing the Vader mask, I really hope they don't play it off like the new guy was Vader's apprentice somehow.
Looks like someone who just worships the idea/ideals of what Vader stood for.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #17
iowatreat
Super Senior Member

Yea, I just needed to look a little more into it, but it does make sense some now. Like Finn is a stormtrooper that is questioning why he is fighting.

I guess I was just expecting less of a complete cluster (that it appears to be) 30 years later. And just seems odd that they're making it sound like 30 years later no one really believes the Jedi are real.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #18
Brent
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Yea, I just needed to look a little more into it, but it does make sense some now. Like Finn is a stormtrooper that is questioning why he is fighting.

I guess I was just expecting less of a complete cluster (that it appears to be) 30 years later. And just seems odd that they're making it sound like 30 years later no one really believes the Jedi are real.
I know they had the old early-90s books, so I am curious how much of that canon is part of this story. I had a lot of friends growing up who read all of them.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #19
Damix
Dictator

Quote:
So just read this little write up.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...019-story.html

Most of it is all speculation, but it does seem like 30 years later and there are still doubts about the rebellion and Jedi, hence why everything is still in disarray?

Also I guess JJ has said/alluded to Ren being obsessed with Vader, not necessarily connected to him at all.
I wonder how much the actors are coached on how to respond to spoiler questions.
Damix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #20
Zak
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I know they had the old early-90s books, so I am curious how much of that canon is part of this story. I had a lot of friends growing up who read all of them.
Didn't Disney come out and say that only the 6 movies are part of the official canon?