For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2019, 05:30 AM   #281
The Alex
Super Senior Member

Kathleen Kennedy is a fucking moron.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes fucking apeshit.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:33 AM   #282
nepg
LeBron James is a bitch

Yes.

It's absolutely insane that they didn't just take one of the EU stories and worked with the author and Lucas to get it right.

But that's JJ Abrams. He's so concerned with a handful of people knowing what's going to happen, and completely shuns logic to avoid that.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:31 AM   #283
JoeJoeBrown
Super Senior Member

Finally saw it. It was the most watchable of this trilogy. The previous two movies set the bar so low and also paved the way for ensuring that no logic or reason should be used when consuming the shit being forced fed into my brain that I was ok experiencing this.

This new trilogy sucked and they never should have been made.

The prequels should never have been made.

Jj sucks. He is the new Michael bay (shit formulaic tripe for the masses). Bay has explosions and jj has Lens flare.

Rian may have some good movies but the last jedi is incoherent idiocy wrapped in ham fisted social messages best left for serious material and a much better delivery.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:39 AM   #284
nepg
LeBron James is a bitch

The prequels established the greater Star Wars Universe, so it's hard to say they shouldn't have been made. The scripts should have been written by someone else and someone else should have directed them, though.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:30 PM   #285
njx9
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Finally saw it. It was the most watchable of this trilogy. The previous two movies set the bar so low and also paved the way for ensuring that no logic or reason should be used when consuming the shit being forced fed into my brain that I was ok experiencing this.
Totally agree with this. It wasn't a bad overall movie, and it had fewer "what in the fuck..." moments than the last one did, once I accepted that it wasn't really a Star Wars movie. Could've just been the last two being so abysmal that this seemed decent, I guess.

Whoever wrote the scripts and did the editing for these last three just utterly failed in every way to understand the first 6 (as mediocre as the lines in the prequels were).

At least Adam Driver was more watchable than Hayden.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:20 PM   #286
comahan
Super Senior Member

lol i feel the complete opposite, i think the first two were fine as individual movies, the second being the best, and this was just a mess
Old 12-29-2019, 10:41 PM   #287
njx9
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
lol i feel the complete opposite, i think the first two were fine as individual movies, the second being the best, and this was just a mess
The second was close, I guess, but just had so many 'why' moments for me. Like, they make this huge deal out of their invincible base just to deus ex machina a weapon to destroy it seconds later? I feel like there were 40-50 times I just couldn't figure out why something was happening or being mentioned, and there was basically never any pay-off for any of it in the end.

The whole third trilogy just feels like a bunch of Star Wars fan fiction.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:46 AM   #288
BaLLiN
Super Senior Member

The whole new trilogy felt as though it was catered to an entirely new/different crowd. Apart from just completely shitting on all of the previous plot/legacy characters, there were just way too many holes, lack of explanation, and illogical sequences. Like most of you I had very low expectations and could enjoy the movie as I didn't really view it as a star wars movie.

Edit:
Another thing that I don't think anyone said before, but these movies seemed to be significantly worse in their scoring. I know many of the SW loyalists love the old movies to death, but the prequel's scoring was superb.

Last edited by BaLLiN; 12-31-2019 at 04:49 AM.
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:21 AM   #289
nepg
LeBron James is a bitch

Yeah. People are praising Williams, but did he really do anything? Most of the tracks are just remixes.

This movie belongs in the Razzies.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:41 PM   #290
Zak
LeBron James is a bitch

Pic gone.

Last edited by Zak; 01-03-2020 at 01:46 AM.
Zak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:02 AM   #291
Niel89
Super Senior Member

Well it was a movie. I enjoyed my time well enough, but I know 100% it will fall apart as I think about it over time. It's not great but I wouldn't refuse to see it again if someone wanted to see it.

This trilogy is a mess overall. There are bit and pieces that are great and ideas that could have worked but man are they unfocused. Disjointing the 2nd movie was a big mistake and makes it feel totally unconnected from the other 2. Plus 2 of the 3 story lines there felt pointless.

I will say this though; I'd rather watch this 3 movies than the 3 prequels 100 out of 100 times. No amount of lore expansion can make those into good movies.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:48 AM   #292
Zak
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niel89 View Post
Well it was a movie. I enjoyed my time well enough, but I know 100% it will fall apart as I think about it over time. It's not great but I wouldn't refuse to see it again if someone wanted to see it.

This trilogy is a mess overall. There are bit and pieces that are great and ideas that could have worked but man are they unfocused. Disjointing the 2nd movie was a big mistake and makes it feel totally unconnected from the other 2. Plus 2 of the 3 story lines there felt pointless.

I will say this though; I'd rather watch this 3 movies than the 3 prequels 100 out of 100 times. No amount of lore expansion can make those into good movies.
I don't know about that honestly. Not that it's good but I might prefer that trilogy even with all the problems in that.
Zak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #293
comahan
Super Senior Member

so the episode 9 script from colin trevorrow that he submitted in late 2016 right before carrie fishers death has leaked, and its actually incredible. obviously it would have had to change cause of carrie, and the studio probably forced change cause of last jedi response, but its a beautiful finale to the saga and pays off a lot of stuff while actually possessing connective thread to 7 and 8 and not taking a shit on the anakin arc by bringing back palpatine.

it very much shows that they DID have a cohesive plan, at least at that point, they just did a 180 away from the plan afterward

its not freely available to read but a lot of connected people have gotten their hands on it and there are reviews etc, if you want a good breakdown of it check out this video by the CEO of collider who ended up with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu79_3oOE6Q

its really long though, i might work up a summary of it eventually, but trust me if youve only read the shitty summary on reddit about what might have been in it, you didnt get much of the story at all and a lot of it was straight mistranslated and communicated badly
Old 01-18-2020, 03:56 PM   #294
JoeJoeBrown
Super Senior Member

So why didn’t they go with it?
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #295
comahan
Super Senior Member

carrie fisher died a few weeks after the script was submitted so that would have needed a rewrite, plus last jedi came out after the script was submitted and was divisive, so im sure that execs wanted to go in some different directions