For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #64241
Brent
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
If you want to hang your hat on all the shit they "could" be doing, then you do you. They demonstrably won't. And they'll get deservedly killed in '22 for "failing to govern".
They can do both, impeachment and pass bills. However, you are right to assume they won't because you shouldn't get your hopes up about anyone in Democratic leadership. The Dems could stomp out the Republicans if they decided to act like the GOP does and strong-arm things, but they are so scared of losing elections that they take no risks.

I hope to be wrong, I really do, and Congress and this admin actually work to make people's lives better.
Brent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #64242
Babylon
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Tom Cotton getting fried for calling himself a ranger is a beautiful thing
The course he took is no piece of cake but basically he lied. Seems to be a requirement for that bunch.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM   #64243
Don Vito
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
The course he took is no piece of cake but basically he lied. Seems to be a requirement for that bunch.
I know that you know Ranger Qualified =/= Ranger
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM   #64244
njx9
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg151 View Post
A DOJ press release gets 20 minutes on Maddow and then we all move on. This will be on tv all day for weeks. And then we can get a few senators from states Biden won to say it was ok to try to murder the VP and members of congress.
For weeks 2 years before an election. And they'll just use it as a platform to press Hawley's bullshit, because moderate voters just want to move on.

Quote:
I mean, that's my point. A senate trial isn't going to change that. If they get rid of the filibuster and pass a half dozen great things people like maybe they get lucky and keep one chamber.
Agree that the filibuster is critical and that it doesn't appear that they'll move on it, but they should, at the least, be forcing a vote every single day on extremely simple legislation (one bill, one issue) that will hurt R's in non-crazy states. I think that's a path to keeping 50/50 in the Senate (which is critical if Breyer doesn't do the right thing in the next year).

All that said, I think the Senate would be better spending it's time expelling Hawley and Cruz (which I think they could do, since both would still be replaced by Rs) than failing again to convict Trump, if you're really after justice.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #64245
iowatreat
Super Senior Member

Whatever Congress needs to do to ensure Trump disappears forever and he (and ideally his kids) can never run for office again, do that. He has too large of an ego to stay in politics as the financier/puppet master that doesn't get the spotlight and glory, if he can't campaign he will lose interest in politics very quickly.
iowatreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #64246
Forenci

Quote:
The idea that this is stopping the senate from doing any real work is silly. They could pass the stimulus bill right now it they wanted. Hell they have 2 weeks before the trial even begins, DC could be a state by then if senate Dems weren't such fucking cowards.
I know you're being hyperbolic, but statehood seems pretty unlikely, no? Didn't Manchin publically oppose it? Not to mention it would require a constitutional amendment I thought.
Forenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #64247
Brent
LeBron James is a bitch

if I were the new senate majority leader, I would simply kill the filibuster.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM   #64248
njx9
Super Senior Member

Primary Chuck Schumer.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM   #64249
iowatreat
Super Senior Member

Rob Portman out of Ohio is not running for re-election in 22. Probably doesn't make a difference from a state that gives us Jim Jordan and he's rumored to be interested in that seat, but not the worst announcement.
iowatreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM   #64250
dg151
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I know you're being hyperbolic, but statehood seems pretty unlikely, no? Didn't Manchin publically oppose it? Not to mention it would require a constitutional amendment I thought.
Congress can make new states. The only thing stopping the citizens of Washington DC of having proper representation is Democrats being cowards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
Please don't berate me for being insanely right, all the time.
dg151 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #64251
Brent
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
Primary Chuck Schumer.
if he doesn't get everyone to agree on ending the filibuster and fails to pass an agenda, he should be primary'd and swiftly removed from Democratic politics.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #64252
Dragon
Super Senior Member

My Trump supporting family is super upset about trans people getting their rights back.

I just dont get these people....
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM   #64253
Forenci

Quote:
Congress can make new states. The only thing stopping the citizens of Washington DC of having proper representation is Democrats being cowards.
I thought Manchin was opposed to statehood? Not to mention there being a ton of other logistical considerations. I have to find a really good video on saw on DC becoming a state, and what the hurdles of it were...
Forenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #64254
njx9
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
if he doesn't get everyone to agree on ending the filibuster and fails to pass an agenda, he should be primary'd and swiftly removed from Democratic politics.
Him and Feinstein should both get hit from the left. Both are safe D districts no matter who runs, neither is effective.

Say whatever you want about her politics, but Pelosi is at least a wildly effective whip in a party that has to appeal to a lot of flavors of ice cream. Schumer doesn’t appear to be competent at anything at a similar level.