For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > Sports Discussion > Individual Team Threads

Old 10-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #15681
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrahjones View Post
Just like the Cowboys to give up a first rounder for a guy you then give massive money to and then cut 4 years later to save money.

That is what you call having ZERO faith both in your QB and in your Drafting.
Lol. True. If the idea is to invest in OL, RB and WR then you have to live with a bus driver QB.

Can't have em all and leave your defense out to dry. In my ideal build, I'd invest in lockdown turnover creating DBs before I invest in RB and WRs.

CeeDee was a good value pick, but it goes against my draft philosophy. What were the trade offers we turned down. I wanna know that.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #15682
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Lol. True. If the idea is to invest in OL, RB and WR then you have to live with a bus driver QB.

Can't have em all and leave your defense out to dry. In my ideal build, I'd invest in lockdown turnover creating DBs before I invest in RB and WRs.

CeeDee was a good value pick, but it goes against my draft philosophy. What were the trade offers we turned down. I wanna know that.
As far as I know we didn't receive any trade offers. I know the Eagles tried to trade up with Atlanta to get CeeDee and if they would have we would have drafted the DE from LSU who has a handful of tackles and 1 sack. IDK what DB was available that you would have taken over CeeDee but it would have been the wrong pick lol. CeeDee was #6 overall on our board, thats a no brainer pick at 17.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #15683
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

We turned down 3 offers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....-lamb-oklahoma

The fact that he was 6th on the board and didn't go until 17 shows that our board was wrong. Dead wrong.

I'm not a CeeDee hater. Great hands and route running, but he has yet to show breakaway speed and he's not physical... which also hurts him as a blocker... but that said, it's his position value that I don't like.

You can get them later. Chase Claypool was only picked 2 spots ahead of Diggs and he looks like a more complete WR.

Speaking of Diggs I hope he works out his kinks. Really like his make up. He might be leading the league in INTs if he didn't have butter fingers.

My guy was Depit all along. Not sure what he'd be playing like if he was healthy but I think that a trade down and getting him was the ideal scenario.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:42 PM   #15684
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
We turned down 3 offers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....-lamb-oklahoma

The fact that he was 6th on the board and didn't go until 17 shows that our board was wrong. Dead wrong.

I'm not a CeeDee hater. Great hands and route running, but he has yet to show breakaway speed and he's not physical... which also hurts him as a blocker... but that said, it's his position value that I don't like.

You can get them later. Chase Claypool was only picked 2 spots ahead of Diggs and he looks like a more complete WR.

Speaking of Diggs I hope he works out his kinks. Really like his make up. He might be leading the league in INTs if he didn't have butter fingers.

My guy was Depit all along. Not sure what he'd be playing like if he was healthy but I think that a trade down and getting him was the ideal scenario.
If/when CeeDee goes on to become and All Pro and potentially more, was he still the wrong pick? You wanted Delpit at 17, don’t try to “trade down” now because he went 44th overall. Maybe your draft board was dead wrong? Lol. Claypool has had 1 big game. Let’s see if that continues. BTW CeeDee is an EXCELLENT blocker and is very physical. Idk who you’re watching. 🤷*♂️
Old 10-15-2020, 11:16 PM   #15685
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
If/when CeeDee goes on to become and All Pro and potentially more, was he still the wrong pick? You wanted Delpit at 17, don’t try to “trade down” now because he went 44th overall. Maybe your draft board was dead wrong? Lol. Claypool has had 1 big game. Let’s see if that continues. BTW CeeDee is an EXCELLENT blocker and is very physical. Idk who you’re watching. 🤷*♂️
Lol at getting mad.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:04 AM   #15686
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Lol at getting mad.
That was mad? Lol. You’re not very good at reading people. Hope you don’t play poker.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #15687
Witten4hof

Are we really having this conversation? A top 10 talent falls into your laps, you take him and a third of the way through the season he is statistically top 5 in the league w/ production ?!?! How is that not the definition of a hit on the draft board?
Witten4hof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #15688
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4hof View Post
Are we really having this conversation? A top 10 talent falls into your laps, you take him and a third of the way through the season he is statistically top 5 in the league w/ production ?!?! How is that not the definition of a hit on the draft board?
It’s 100% a hit. D just doesn’t like it because he’s a WR. Weird. Also his opinion of him is WAY off.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #15689
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Pocket is right. He is a hit and in not saying he's bad. But is he really elite?? Because our team is not good... with or without Dak. Is it built like winning teams build?

How much more $ are we gonna commit to offensive weapons with a broken down OL and one of the worst defenses in the league?
Old 10-16-2020, 07:14 PM   #15690
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Pocket is right. He is a hit and in not saying he's bad. But is he really elite?? Because our team is not good... with or without Dak. Is it built like winning teams build?

How much more $ are we gonna commit to offensive weapons with a broken down OL and one of the worst defenses in the league?
I’ve been saying for 20 years, Jerruh has no clue how to build a team. Even when we had a great OLine and a good defense, we never won anything. Our “gm(s)” have wasted a lot of great careers in big D. Players leave to win Super Bowls they only stay for the money. And yes, CeeDee is elite. He’s also a rookie that will only get better. Even if we drafted a Safety, this team would still suck. We draft well but other than that our player Acquisitions are mostly terrible. Even when a guy pans out it’s usually only for a year, then he moves on for a bigger payday and we are left with another hole to fill. Jerruh is literally the little boy with his finger in the dam with leaks springing everywhere and he has no idea how to fill
Them. 25 years later and here we are.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #15691
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Quote:
I’ve been saying for 20 years, Jerruh has no clue how to build a team. Even when we had a great OLine and a good defense, we never won anything. Our “gm(s)” have wasted a lot of great careers in big D. Players leave to win Super Bowls they only stay for the money. And yes, CeeDee is elite. He’s also a rookie that will only get better. Even if we drafted a Safety, this team would still suck. We draft well but other than that our player Acquisitions are mostly terrible. Even when a guy pans out it’s usually only for a year, then he moves on for a bigger payday and we are left with another hole to fill. Jerruh is literally the little boy with his finger in the dam with leaks springing everywhere and he has no idea how to fill
Them. 25 years later and here we are.
We never have money for player acquisitions because we draft well.

Problem is we draft the wrong positions with our top picks. We were doing good until Zeke, Taco, LVE, Amari, Lamb. Fools Gold.

Let's say Lamb is elite, keeping him, Amari and Gallup is unaffordable.
Rather have 3 elite OL, or 3 elite DL or better yet, 3 elite DBs than 3 elite WRs. We're getting headlines for all the wrong reasons.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:53 PM   #15692
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
We never have money for player acquisitions because we draft well.

Problem is we draft the wrong positions with our top picks. We were doing good until Zeke, Taco, LVE, Amari, Lamb. Fools Gold.

Let's say Lamb is elite, keeping him, Amari and Gallup is unaffordable.
Rather have 3 elite OL, or 3 elite DL or better yet, 3 elite DBs than 3 elite WRs. We're getting headlines for all the wrong reasons.
We always have money, our cheap FO just refuses to spend it. Earlier this year the Rams were 400K over the cap and had hours to get under or get penalized. They promptly gave huge deals to Woods, Kupp , and somebody else, their name escapes me, And poof! Cap problems gone. Now tell me who all these elite athletes players are that were available when we picked. 17 this year, 3rd round where we took Gallup and wherever we would have drafted if we wouldn’t have traded for Cooper? Also the reason we have to invest so much in the WR position is to overcome the inconsistencies of our QB. Remember why we cut Dez and then had to trade for Cooper? Because Dak was struggling to say the least.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:33 AM   #15693
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Quote:
We always have money, our cheap FO just refuses to spend it. Earlier this year the Rams were 400K over the cap and had hours to get under or get penalized. They promptly gave huge deals to Woods, Kupp , and somebody else, their name escapes me, And poof! Cap problems gone. Now tell me who all these elite athletes players are that were available when we picked. 17 this year, 3rd round where we took Gallup and wherever we would have drafted if we wouldn’t have traded for Cooper? Also the reason we have to invest so much in the WR position is to overcome the inconsistencies of our QB. Remember why we cut Dez and then had to trade for Cooper? Because Dak was struggling to say the least.
Jerry being a penny pincher is not a worry. Overspending is always the worry. Like when he paid up for D-Flaw.

Nobody better than Lamb was available at 17. What I wondered was what the 3 other trade offers were. Multiple picks are valuable.

Dak is Fools Gold so you don't have to tell me that he needs a fully perfect roster to be good. When Brady's contact is over with Tampa, he'll still be a better QB than Scaredy Dan.

Hoping Dalton shows us that we can be the same 8-8 team that Dak would've made us. ..or if he can do more, even better.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #15694
Witten4hof

I think as fans, we tend to Monday Morning QB individual moves instead of looking at the bigger picture. We cried for years about the team window dressing the board and missing out on good players attempting to fill holes. Now the defense is struggling, we should have really gone another direction to help the team??? C'mon we can't have it both ways.

After CJ Henderson, Derrick Brown and Kinlaw went off the board, we were looking at Ceedee, Chaisson or reach. If you want to make an argument for Chaisson....okay, I get that but they already won that gamble in the short game. Ceedee has been electric, Chaisson is still really green and having his struggles. Add in the position he would have played is being occupied by Aldon Smith, who has produced better than anyone on defense, we scored the impact player without hurting the defense. In the long game, you have another year of the big 3 at WR and you can let Amari Cooper walk without penalty opening up big time cap space.

LOL at not attempting to build through the O-line. We legit had three 1st round players and a 1st round talent in La'el all on second contracts. Tough pill to swallow with the IR situations and Frederick's retirement but they did attempt to draft depth with Connor Williams and McGovern w/ top 100 picks.

The major problem imo is the business model of always attempting to stay relevant. The league is set up for short windows of success and for the most part teams are built from the bottom up every couple of years. Jerry and Stephen want to put out a product that can compete but in doing so extend the mediocrity by not allowing a full reset. 8-8 seasons are the worst thing for a franchise. The core building pieces of a franchise... the elite pass rushers, OT's, and CB's that we feel like we always are missing rarely fall out of the top 10 picks in a draft. In the last 15yrs, we've only hit that that mark twice... drafting Tyron Smith in 2011 and Zeke in 2016. While Zeke has been great, drafting was a move to extend the Tony Romo era rather then grabbing on of the money positions.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #15695
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
I think as fans, we tend to Monday Morning QB individual moves instead of looking at the bigger picture. We cried for years about the team window dressing the board and missing out on good players attempting to fill holes. Now the defense is struggling, we should have really gone another direction to help the team??? C'mon we can't have it both ways.

After CJ Henderson, Derrick Brown and Kinlaw went off the board, we were looking at Ceedee, Chaisson or reach. If you want to make an argument for Chaisson....okay, I get that but they already won that gamble in the short game. Ceedee has been electric, Chaisson is still really green and having his struggles. Add in the position he would have played is being occupied by Aldon Smith, who has produced better than anyone on defense, we scored the impact player without hurting the defense. In the long game, you have another year of the big 3 at WR and you can let Amari Cooper walk without penalty opening up big time cap space.

LOL at not attempting to build through the O-line. We legit had three 1st round players and a 1st round talent in La'el all on second contracts. Tough pill to swallow with the IR situations and Frederick's retirement but they did attempt to draft depth with Connor Williams and McGovern w/ top 100 picks.

The major problem imo is the business model of always attempting to stay relevant. The league is set up for short windows of success and for the most part teams are built from the bottom up every couple of years. Jerry and Stephen want to put out a product that can compete but in doing so extend the mediocrity by not allowing a full reset. 8-8 seasons are the worst thing for a franchise. The core building pieces of a franchise... the elite pass rushers, OT's, and CB's that we feel like we always are missing rarely fall out of the top 10 picks in a draft. In the last 15yrs, we've only hit that that mark twice... drafting Tyron Smith in 2011 and Zeke in 2016. While Zeke has been great, drafting was a move to extend the Tony Romo era rather then grabbing on of the money positions.
The other problem is, we are never a player in FA, if we sign a guy it’s someone old, someone cheap, and/or on a 1 year deal. We draft well but never improve through FA we just plug a hole for a year and have the same hole again the following year. Other than Cooper we never trade for impactful players either. Poe was a HORRIBLE signing. That guy stinks. We should have ET at safety, maybe Snacks at DT. Crawford sucks. Griffen sucks. Now Hill is out. Playing a guy at RT that probably shouldn’t even be in the league is criminal. Just so many holes going into next year. And i agree, 8-8 is the worst. That’s why I’m on team tank but it won’t happen.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #15696
Witten4hof

Quote:
The other problem is, we are never a player in FA, if we sign a guy it’s someone old, someone cheap, and/or on a 1 year deal. We draft well but never improve through FA we just plug a hole for a year and have the same hole again the following year. Other than Cooper we never trade for impactful players either. Poe was a HORRIBLE signing. That guy stinks. We should have ET at safety, maybe Snacks at DT. Crawford sucks. Griffen sucks. Now Hill is out. Playing a guy at RT that probably shouldn’t even be in the league is criminal. Just so many holes going into next year. And i agree, 8-8 is the worst. That’s why I’m on team tank but it won’t happen.
The FA game is a slippery slope too because if you miss... you end up with Brandon Carr eating up your cap space. For the most part we keep our big FA in house. Tyron would have been a top Free Agent, so would Zac Martin and D-Law..... essentially that is free agent shopping but you know the groceries.

Right now, we have a couple in house misses on the book, which hurts us. Jaylon was a bad draft pick, that turned into a good story... turned into a bad financial decision to extend him. Hopefully they learn the lesson when it comes to LVE. If he is healthy, he can be a game changer... if he continues to get hurt, let that man walk.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:19 PM   #15697
jerrahjones

Random thoughts ....

1) Jaylon, nor Gregory, were bad picks but you need to cut bait and not give them bigger contracts.

2) Zeke was never a good pick. Using #4 at RB when you could have had Ramsey. How many RB give you similar production behind the type of OL he had first few years. Now, to me, he is done. He i not as explosivness and that contract will be an albatross.

3) Don't forget they stretched on Travis Frederick, good player, but had a third round grade. Reach pick.

4) Tyron was injured early and often with back issues. Again, his money would have been better spent elsewhere. Frankly I have seen him get beat quite a bit by speed guys and don't find him to be a good zone blocker. His feet seem glued to the ground. Good player but not what he was paid for.

5) Dak is Dak and is a system QB. Nothing special and we are wasting money on him and should have traded him frankly after Year 1. We would have gotten a boat load. We could have kept Romo on till the end of his deal and done just as well. But we took the cheese based on a bad sample size and ignored all his college short comings which we see now.

6) Got snake bit a bit with some DB picks which looked good on paper Awuzie being one.

7) Taco picks was a disaster from Day. He was never particularly good at Michigan in the 4-3. He was never explosive and he was never big enough end to play SDE Anchor or 2 Gap. Anyone who followed Michigan football knew Taco was a 2nd Round talent with 6th round production. Much like Rashan Gary now with TB ... in his case Top 5 talent with UDFA production.

8) I like Trysten Hill and be nice if we could invest in more explosive DT.

9) I want faster LBs and DB. We are frigging slow there too.

10) Get rid of Poe, Griffin, DLaw and every expensive over 28 player on the team. These guys are taking Jerrah's money and slithering into retirement. You can see it with their play on the field. It is lackluster most of the time and every so often they get motivated and produce but for the most part they got their cash and are mailing it in.
jerrahjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #15698
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Suh>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Poe.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:53 AM   #15699
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Interesting.

Quote:
It's interesting to note that despite Dallas' explosive play-making ability on offense, they're one of the worst in the NFL at converting 3rd and 8+, at just 9.5%.

Buffalo, by contrast leads the league in 3rd and 8+ conversion rate at an obscene 52.4%.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:23 AM   #15700
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

TeamTank! Go Cards!

Tags
100 iq or less thread, broken bones romo, d unit is poor, fuck dez bryant, romo glass qb