For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > Sports Discussion > Individual Team Threads

Old 04-13-2019, 12:05 AM   #12401
Jas
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
To get rid of Crawford and save money it sounds like.
Get rid of Crawford. Do you need to replace him?
There's 11 more defensive lineman.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:53 AM   #12402
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Get rid of Crawford. Do you need to replace him?
There's 11 more defensive lineman.
Crawford is a waste of cap space. I cut him in the forum mock.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #12403
thule

Did a fanspeak mock again.

R2P26 - Johnathan Abram, S, Miss St
R3P26 - Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston
R4P26 - Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois
R4P34 - Jahlani Tavai, LB, Hawaii
R5P27 - Maxx Crosby, DE, E Michigan
R7P27 - Donald Parham, TE, Stetson

With our first pick I had my choice between Abram, Gardner-Johnson, Thornhill. I had a tough time making the decision but thinking Abram is a tone setter and that might be something Richard wants in the secondary. I have the other guys ranked higher than Abram for what it's worth...but all three should contribute immediately.

In the third round I was surprised to see Johnson available. The only real knock on him is he did five bench reps at his pro day. But athletically he's as elite as the come. Tape has some concerns but at pick 90 he is good value.

Saunders in the 4th was a pretty quick selection. Interior defender with flex to play the 1 and 3. Yes please.

Tavai with our compensatory pick would be the steal of the draft. He has some injury concerns...and hasn't done much all offseason because of a shoulder issue...but that is how a player with his talent falls to day 3. He will fight to start at SLB (28% defensive snaps)...backup MLB and play special teams.

Crosby is a freak athlete https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/maxx-crosby. Playing at a DII school is why he is still available. He is a bit undersized at 255lbs but I think that is fine as a rookie for a 3rd down pass rusher. Huge upside pick.

Parham in the 7th can be considered your direct replacement for the Rico Gathers project. Parham is 6'8 with a huge 84" wingspan. Developmental guy who has elite potential in the redzone.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #12404
thule

Figured wouldn't hurt to try a draft network mock too.

at 58.

All the safeties are gone in this one. Best available is Dalton Risner which would be very interesting. Has played almost every position on the line in his four years at k state. He is someone who would compete with Williams at LG. Insurance policy for La'el in the last year of his contract. Risner is as NFL ready as you can get as a prospect. Other OL in the area Greg Little, Yodny Cajuste, Kalev McGary

Some WRs are available to consider Parris Campbell, Deebo Samuel, Kelvin Harmon, Emanuel Hall, Isabella. Be interesting to see how the cowboys handle a draft that turns out like this.

Couple of CBs in the range were Julian Love, Sean Bunting and Trayvon Mullen. I really like Bunting and someone I definitely considered.

In the end I'm going with the top safety left on my board. Deionte Thompson. He is one of the youngest players in this draft class. He hasn't ran a 40 because of a hurt wrist. Not a great look for a prospect...but his splash plays are enough for me to roll the dice. If he is the pick you can be sure Garrett will have gotten the inside scoop from his buddy Saban.

58. Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama

Isabella, Arcega-Whiteside, Riley Ridley, Isaiah Johnson, David Montgomery, Damien Harris, Joejuan Williams, Justice Hill were some of the names on the board when this pick was up.

I think the cowboys would jump all over Johnson again if he is available. However that said I'm going to take a corner 6'4" Joejuan Williams just to be different. Williams has some long speed concerns but I'm believing that Richard can cover that up with technique.

90. Joejuan Wiliams, CB, Vanderbilt

DE Maxx Crosby, WR Darius Slayton, RB Trayveon Williams were best available. I went with a different edge...but the value of that position is good here.

128. Oshane Ximines, DE, Old Dominion

Lots of OT value here...Tytus Howard, Max Scharping, Chuma Edoga, Bobby Evans. Trayveon is best available but lots of RB on the board i still like. I'll go with a developmental tacklet Tytus Howard. He is your 2020 starting RT.

136. Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State

Tons of WRs on the top of the board at 165. I want to get a big guy for the DL...but Armon Watts and Demartus Christmas aren't doing it for me. I personally like Greg Gaines as a run stopper but don't see the cowboys doing it.

165. Darwin Thompson, RB, Utah State

241. Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor
https://www.draftace.com/2019/04/10/...ide-receivers/
Quote:
The fact that Jalen Hurd, a converted running back, appears on this list (most frequently targeted NFL routes for wide receivers) probably boosts his draft stock. It takes a leap of faith for a team to spend an early pick on a player with minimal experience at a new position, but Hurd performed at a high level and did so on NFL routes. So itís probably safe to assume his transition to the league will be more smooth than the average change-of-position prospect.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #12405
Jas
Super Senior Member

I just want a safety that can start and a DT. Abram would be great at the back of the 2nd round.
The rest of the picks, I don't really care much about.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #12406
dsc1600
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I just want a safety that can start and a DT. Abram would be great at the back of the 2nd round.
The rest of the picks, I don't really care much about.
An upgrade from Rod Smith would be nice as well. Folks assuming the offense will pick back up with Frederick coming back and some good but rather injury prone wide receivers might be disappointed.

A lot of mocks point to CB at 90 and that makes sense if they donít want to re-sign Byron but Iíd be in the market for a WR there too .
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #12407
Jas
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
An upgrade from Rod Smith would be nice as well. Folks assuming the offense will pick back up with Frederick coming back and some good but rather injury prone wide receivers might be disappointed.

A lot of mocks point to CB at 90 and that makes sense if they don’t want to re-sign Byron but I’d be in the market for a WR there too .
Yeah, a WR somewhere, a back up RB.
I have a feeling tho looking at the visits, CB will really be addressed next year.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #12408
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

I'm doing the forum mock again. Feel free to send me a PM if you have thoughts.

I took Deionte Thompson at 58 over Taylor Rapp. I don't think Rapp can play FS in the NFL. Thompson needs some coaching because of his boom or bust ways, but he has a lot going for him.

I was soooooo tempted to take another player but the need at FS to me is just so dire.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #12409
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Got Gerald Willis in Round 3 for us. Woop woop!!!

FS Deionte Thompson
3T Gerald Willis

The rest will be gravy all over! I got some pet cats for ya'll
Old 04-17-2019, 12:09 AM   #12410
thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'm doing the forum mock again. Feel free to send me a PM if you have thoughts.

I took Deionte Thompson at 58 over Taylor Rapp. I don't think Rapp can play FS in the NFL. Thompson needs some coaching because of his boom or bust ways, but he has a lot going for him.

I was soooooo tempted to take another player but the need at FS to me is just so dire.
What's crazy about this years safety class is that we might not see one go in the first round. But six of them could be off the board by 58.

Love me some Deionte. My favorite part is he is just 21 years old.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 AM   #12411
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
What's crazy about this years safety class is that we might not see one go in the first round. But six of them could be off the board by 58.

Love me some Deionte. My favorite part is he is just 21 years old.
Thompson over Rapp though...Oooof.
pocketaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #12412
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Thompson over Rapp though...Oooof.
You like Rapp more? Probably good for you the Cowboys probably feel the same as you... I prefer Thompson at FS.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #12413
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Just drafted our 2 4th round picks.

Elijah Holyfield, RB, Georgia

Saivion Smith, CB, Alabama

Old 04-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #12414
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
You like Rapp more? Probably good for you the Cowboys probably feel the same as you... I prefer Thompson at FS.
I do. I think Rapp is a first round talent if not for his 40 time. Thompson is only a 1 year starter with 2 picks last year. Not a bad pick but I donít think heíll be BPA at 58. I like the rest of your draft though. Holyfieldís 40 was horrible but he was productive.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #12415
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Quote:
I do. I think Rapp is a first round talent if not for his 40 time. Thompson is only a 1 year starter with 2 picks last year. Not a bad pick but I donít think heíll be BPA at 58. I like the rest of your draft though. Holyfieldís 40 was horrible but he was productive.
Well BPA for me was CB Amani Oruwariye and I was VERY VERY close to stealing him... but that damn FS spot.... I just can't stand it any longer. I will reach for a guy if he has potential. Thompson was a Top 10 prospect at one time... That's why I don't like selecting guys based off BPA... It changes by the second... I like selecting pet cats... guys I like because of who they are as a player and what I think they can do. That said... I'll be honest.. Thompson isn't a pet cat of mine at all. Savage is my pet cat. Sheldon Redwine too.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:16 AM   #12416
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Weird schedule. No back to back home games all year.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:19 AM   #12417
thule

Thompson not only is just 21 years old. He also graduated in environmental science last fall. He is young and motivated. Been getting ready for life as a pro football player for the past six months.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:47 AM   #12418
dsc1600
Super Senior Member

Quote:
I like it. We have the mini bye late in the year and a decent shot at 7-3 or 8-2 at least on paper to begin the year. Brutal stretch to end the year though.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #12419
Jas
Super Senior Member

I would be happy with any of the top safeties in the draft. Rapp, Thompson, Adderly, Abram, Chauncey Gardner, savage, Thornhill, any of them would be an upgrade.
Just hoping 1 or 2 are there at 58.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #12420
Jas
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Im not really liking that part of it but they should hopefully get off to a decent start, I also agree that end stretch looks rough.

Tags
100 iq or less thread, broken bones romo, d unit is poor, fuck dez bryant, romo glass qb