For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #4561
The Alex
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
If D&D make a show as good as The Leftovers I will absolutely give them another shot and I will tell everyone too stubborn to do so that they are wrong.
It's stubbornness though, I have a limited amount of time to watch television shows. I'm not gonna commit myself to one made by people who already fucked up that time commitment once before. I could've been watching Justified and The Shield in all those hours I spent watching Game of Thrones. Which is why I'm also wary to pick up Watchmen. I'll consider picking up The Leftovers because I've heard almost universally good things but I'm not committing time into Watchmen until I hear how it wraps up.

The end. Cut to black. Audience goes fucking apeshit.

Last edited by The Alex; 11-08-2019 at 07:54 PM.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #4562
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

There is so much shit on TV that I do understand wanting to ensure you are devoting time to shows that you actually care about. I still do think that GOT was worth it as a whole. I'm not even mad they fucked up the last season so bad, I had a fun time shitting all over it. Watchmen could end right now and I'd only be mad that I didn't get more, the quality is so high that I'm fine with any episodes we end up getting. Of course though, really excited to see how it all plays out. Lindelof of course does his things and builds a mystery but it's different than Lost. Hard to describe without spoiling it but I'd say for any fan of the graphic novel its an absolute must watch.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #4563
towelie
LeBron James is a bitch

As someone who doesn't know Watchmen background info, the show can be confusing and esoteric
towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #4564
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

Fuck you Towel

Read the goddamn graphic novel, it's amazing. I can for sure understand feeling like you are missing out on a whole lot of references if you haven't read the novel because you are. I can also understand how it could be frustrating but it does just seem like things will clarify as the show goes on. I have no fucking idea what's happening a lot of the time either but it absolutely helps that I pick up on a lot of the minor details (and holy shit the show is so rich with references and does them so well). Fuck just find the time to read the novel, very much worth it even without considering this show. Enjoy being #teamrorschach you fuck.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #4565
towelie
LeBron James is a bitch

I'm gonna keep watching but doubt I'll read the graphic novel.

I hope His Dark Materials is more accessible
towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #4566
Niel89
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by towelie View Post
As someone who doesn't know Watchmen background info, the show can be confusing and esoteric
I tried to recommend the show to my sister but she hasn't read the comic or seen the movie. It's not the easiest thing to pick up without the context of the other media. It really is a continuation of the previous story and it fundamentally build on that original story. I'm sure there is some ability for newcomers to jump in now but they wouldn't get the depth of the full story.

That being said the show is great and you should absolutely watch/read the other stuff to get into this.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #4567
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

I'm a few episodes into season 2 of The End of The Fucking World and its really great. Didn't know what I expected out of season 2 but i think they very much nailed it.

I'm almost finished Unbelievable which is really good. In a sea of really good shows I don't think its a priority to watch or anything but for those who have the time I do think it was very well done and has kept my interest throughout the season.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #4568
KCJ58
2017 Mock Draft Champion

I will start watching Watchmen only if Dr. Manhattan is played by John Cena
KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #4569
Brodie
LeBron James is a bitch

It's alright towelie, Lindelof didn't understand the novel at all.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #4570
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
It's alright towelie, Lindelof didn't understand the novel at all.
How the fuck so? I feel like he's done an incredible job fleshing out the world of the graphic novel and has been very true to the pulse of the source material.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #4571
Brodie
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
How the fuck so? I feel like he's done an incredible job fleshing out the world of the graphic novel and has been very true to the pulse of the source material.
No it's not. It fundamentally flat out doesn't get Laurie as per the last episode. Every interview of his shows how big of a dumbass he is, with shit like "WELL WE NEED EQUAL AMOUNTS OF CONSERVATIVES/LIBERALS IN GOVERNMENT" garbage. He has no idea what points Moore was making on it at all.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #4572
Prock
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by towelie View Post
I'm gonna keep watching but doubt I'll read the graphic novel.

I hope His Dark Materials is more accessible
I read the Wiki for some background after the third episode so I had some semblance of an idea of what's happening. I think I will enjoy the rest of it more now.
Prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #4573
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

Quote:
No it's not. It fundamentally flat out doesn't get Laurie as per the last episode. Every interview of his shows how big of a dumbass he is, with shit like "WELL WE NEED EQUAL AMOUNTS OF CONSERVATIVES/LIBERALS IN GOVERNMENT" garbage. He has no idea what points Moore was making on it at all.
How does he not get Laurie?

Spoiler!
Old 11-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #4574
Brodie
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
How does he not get Laurie?

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Old 11-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #4575
Jvig43
LeBron James is a bitch

I love how more tan half the conversation about watchmen in here by people watching is just to take digs at people who dont care to waste their time with lindelof. Sounds like a great show (I watched the first episode. It was entirely ok but I have no interest in watching, especially because lindelof's political/racial stances aren't something I particularly care for).

Quote:
Spoiler!
Having not watched the last two episodes and just reading this all I have to say is fucking lmao. Thats the shit I'd expect from lindelof.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #4576
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

Spoiler!
Old 11-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #4577
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

Jvig im pretty sure these 'digs' are mostly just responses to people proclaiming that they refuse to watch the show which also adds nothing to the conversation. I like a show, I sing its praises.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #4578
Jvig43
LeBron James is a bitch

Yeah and the last batch came about entirely out of nowhere after any of us that said that had moved on, which is why its funny. Keep enjoying something you like, I'd never tell you otherwise.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #4579
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Yeah and the last batch came about entirely out of nowhere after any of us that said that had moved on, which is why its funny. Keep enjoying something you like, I'd never tell you otherwise.
Listen motherfucker, some of us are just really passionate about The Leftovers and want to share it with the world. I'm sorry we get heated about it you fuck. You shitheads tried to ruin our parade and inundated this thread with your Lindelof hatred SO WE ARE FIGHTING BACK.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #4580
Brodie
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Spoiler!
I misread the supplemental thing about the Keene Act, my bad on that.

Tags
bbd <3s bbt, bigbangtheory, catfish, hannibalsucksbrodie, peakyfookinblinders, readabooklosers, watch barry