For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > Sports Discussion

Old 03-10-2020, 05:46 AM   #1
BaLLiN
Super Senior Member

Default 2020 NFL Draft Prospect Comps

Every year analysts compare upcoming players to current or former NFL players. Each prospect is unique and the game changes, but I do enjoy this part of the process especially as it makes it easier to forsee the type of impact/career trajectory a player could have.

I haven't gotten deep into each player, so I don't have a large number of comps but here's what I got so far:

Laviska Shenault -- Cordarrelle Patterson
I've seen a lot of people compare him to Deebo, Juju, but I think his refinement as a receiver is lacking while his athleticism is a little underrated in those comps. Patterson was drafted in the first round with only 1 year of FBS ball, but since has had very high highs, low lows mostly due to injury and inability to refine his route running. As a prospect I see them fairly similarly--explosive, strong, versatile offensive weapons. Shenault may be luckier and not rot away as sheerly a gadget player/KR like Patterson, but as far as his comp as a prospect I see them very similarly.

D'Andre Swift -- Tiki Barber
As a Giants fan who watched and loved Tiki as a player, this is who I see. Tiki wasn't big, wasn't overly fast, wasn't overly strong--he was tough, quick and smooth, just enough burst and not too much wasted motion, reliable. Like Tiki, Swift shares many of the questionmarks including ball security, pass pro, stature, 3 down back potential, but the aforementioned Pros are very alluring. Barber took awhile to become what we remember him as, I think Swift will be closer to being an every down back than Tiki was at the start of his career.

Yetuur Gross-Matos -- Danielle Hunter
Hunter just doesn't get as much recognition for the career he is having, but the dude keeps on pumping out sacks. Hunter has a great frame, athleticism, bend and is a darn good run defender as well. When he was coming out, he had 13 sacks in his junior year but just wasn't refined and many thought he benefitted from a strong supporting cast at LSU. Is he a standup 3-4 edge who almost always rushes? pure 4-3 end? If he doesn't develop the moves can he add weight and use his frame to be a 3-4 end? Gross Matos is very similarly impressive and has a lot of the same knocks that Hunter did with a lot of similarity of unrefined technique and reliance on exceptional physical traits. I think that Matos is unlikely to reach the mountain of success Hunter has, but do see them very similarly as prospects.

Last edited by BaLLiN; 03-10-2020 at 06:16 PM.
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote