fenikz 1
D-Unit 0
first to 4 wins
Old 03-31-2020, 04:25 AM   #42
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Its just really hard when everyone's team is stacked. Any position group that is just really good and not great is a big disadvantage. My best shot would be

1. Brodie
2. Alex
3. TACKS
4. OSU
5. Fenikz
6. D
7. SP

So basically yeah I'm on the side that brodie got fucked over.
I haven't put a tonne of thought into it but this list looks pretty good to me. Those top 4 would be my playoffs and I'd put some more thought into it from there.

I do think Brodie really falters with RB. Plenty of great talent missed out on and still talent better than what he has imo.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:37 AM   #43
Brodie
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
I haven't put a tonne of thought into it but this list looks pretty good to me. Those top 4 would be my playoffs and I'd put some more thought into it from there.

I do think Brodie really falters with RB. Plenty of great talent missed out on and still talent better than what he has imo.
Emmitt was the MVP/Super Bowl MVP that year! He also has great hands and is a great blocker, plus Sproles is a speed all around demon. It's better to have a Sproles like backup than a superstar where it makes no sense to have them on the bench.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:41 AM   #44
The Alex
Super Senior Member

You could've gone with Gale Sayers instead of Darren Sproles.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes fucking apeshit.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:59 AM   #45
TACKS
Super Senior Member

Lol still doing bit where you pretend the olds dont suck when you waited to the 25th round to take Butkus
TACKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:06 AM   #46
Brodie
LeBron James is a bitch

Sproles has the all time record that year for all purpose yards and Steve Young is Drew Brees with speed, so he fits what I want to do. I still want my D-Unit explanation goddammit.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:08 AM   #47
The Alex
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKS View Post
Lol still doing bit where you pretend the olds dont suck when you waited to the 25th round to take Butkus
Because I knew I could get him and Night Train late because you plebs undervalue all-time greats in favor of what's new.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:28 AM   #48
TACKS
Super Senior Member

Drafting unplayable players. Brilliant
TACKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:30 AM   #49
Brodie
LeBron James is a bitch

Imagine Night Train trying to keep up with DeSean Jackson
Old 03-31-2020, 05:32 AM   #50
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
People are just gonna vote for whoever they think they can beat in the next round
Yep. Also the grudge factor. This system of having us vote for each other in a bracket style competition is incredibly flawed. If I can vote for whoever I think I can beat in the next round, then I'm doing it.

I like the hidden ranking best. 3 way tie for first between Alex, TACKS and myself is good with me.

...and I voted for SP over Brodie because I think his offense had more quick strike potential combined with ways to cause confusion for Brodie's defense. Both defenses were very good, imo, but Brodie's offense is very old fashion, predictable and has zero speed. Thought SP could be just a little more effective on D.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:38 AM   #51
Brodie
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Yep. Also the grudge factor. This system of having us vote for each other in a bracket style competition is incredibly flawed. If I can vote for whoever I think I can beat in the next round, then I'm doing it.

I like the hidden ranking best. 3 way tie for first between Alex, TACKS and myself is good with me.

...and I voted for SP over Brodie because I think his offense had more quick strike potential combined with ways to cause confusion for Brodie's defense. Both defenses were very good, imo, but Brodie's offense is very old fashion, predictable and has zero speed. Thought SP could be just a little more effective on D.
What the fuck? Steve Young is the fastest QB in the draft not on SP's team, Steve Smith/Sharpe/Holt are all 4.4 guys that are fast as hell after the catch, Darren Sproles is one of the faster game players in the history of the NFL, and Travis Kelce is one of the faster tight ends in this.

Also my line is FAR better than his, and my receivers are far better. Your whole argument seems to be that two QBs would confuse a defense that Patrick Willis can shut one down by himself on?

Last edited by Brodie; 03-31-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:54 AM   #52
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Imagine Night Train trying to keep up with DeSean Jackson
Bud you've got to factor in the juice. You get Night Train on some human growth hormone like everyone else, you get the guy having his fucking creatine shakes in the morning, you have him training on a peleton, the guy is gonna perform on another level.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:04 AM   #53
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants View Post

First to 4 votes wins. Both D and Fenikz can post explaining how their team matches up against the other
OK, first off... if anyone knows the NFL, they know Home field advantage means everything.

The best thing I like about fenikz's team (in a vacuum) is that his WR duo of Moss and Johnson is an intimitating pair. The problem for him is that as smart as Peyton was, his arm wasn't among the strongest ones around (to take advantage of their downfield ability) and he had very jittery feet with a panicky mindset. Having Marvin Harrison was a smart pick up for him in the slot as I think that's where Peyton could've exposed me on dump offs. But Moss, Calvin, Boldin... their physicality does not match up well against my secondary.

Deion Sanders, Patrick Patterson, Sean Taylor and Ronnie Lott have what it takes to contain his WRs and leave them battered up. I can see a team like OSU who has speed in Tyreek and Antonio Brown having more success against me than the big WRs that fenikz has.

His RBs are dynamic, but I've got the 2 biggest DTs among all teams in the middle of my DL (Dareus/Jenkins - that's 700 pounds between the 2) and speed to cover the edges (Ware, Porter). Jared Allen and Chris Doleman are also good against the run. Takeo Spikes, Mike Singletary, Sean Taylor and Ronnie Lott are all violent hitters who could also batter them up in run support.

On offense, a team lead by Tom Brady paired with Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, DeAndre Hopkins and Hines Ward would be tough for fenikz to handle. Law is a fine well rounded CB, but Asante, Tyrann are too small to match up to the physicality that my guys have and I didn't think Samari Rolle was a draftable guy in this format.

I liked fenikz's front 7 a lot more than his DBs. Would take a lot to beat them, but I think Herschel Walker and Walter Payton would find ways to follow the holes that Larry Allen, Bruce Matthews and Randall McDaniel would make straight up the gut against a 6'4, 245 pound Alan Page. I also don't like Kahlil Mack at SLB and his specialty in rushing the passer would be mitigated.

PS. Kudos to OSU for finding that "D-Unit" logo. I'm gonna have to use that somehow.

Last edited by D-Unit; 03-31-2020 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:05 AM   #54
The Alex
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKS View Post
Drafting unplayable players. Brilliant
How are they unplayable?
Old 03-31-2020, 06:11 AM   #55
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
What the fuck? Steve Young is the fastest QB in the draft not on SP's team, Steve Smith/Sharpe/Holt are all 4.4 guys that are fast as hell after the catch, Darren Sproles is one of the faster game players in the history of the NFL, and Travis Kelce is one of the faster tight ends in this.

Also my line is FAR better than his, and my receivers are far better. Your whole argument seems to be that two QBs would confuse a defense that Patrick Willis can shut one down by himself on?
I feel like those guys bulked up too much during their careers to retain the speed. I do respect Holt though.

But the real bottom line is that I don't think you were able to recover after making the consensus worst pick of the draft in Justin Houston.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:16 AM   #56
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

Quote:
I feel like those guys bulked up too much during their careers to retain the speed. I do respect Holt though.

But the real bottom line is that I don't think you were able to recover after making the consensus worst pick of the draft in Justin Houston.
I would argue that Andre Johnson was a worse pick.

D I do think you have a great team. I think picking Tom Brady so early really hampers it. With such high level play I think mobility is going to be key. The players are too good to not have mobility opening up the field.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:19 AM   #57
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

We should get votes by Kyle, Gonzo, McGee or anyone outside who is interested. Commie, vidae?
Old 03-31-2020, 06:23 AM   #58
Brodie
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:

They were all fast throughout their career, or you have a serious misunderstanding of Steve Smith's career. The year I drafted Sharpe in, he made Rod Woodson his bitch in one game multiple times with speed.

Also love that the number 2 defensive player of the year in 2014, who was 1st team all pro, had the second most sacks in NFL history, had 20+ QB hits and tackles for loss, and generally dominated is seen as a bad pick when he's next to the two best pass rushing DTs probably ever who both won DPOY.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:25 AM   #59
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
I would argue that Andre Johnson was a worse pick.

D I do think you have a great team. I think picking Tom Brady so early really hampers it. With such high level play I think mobility is going to be key. The players are too good to not have mobility opening up the field.
Thanks, I had fun.

I guess I overvalued Brady's near perfect season (damn Giants), 50 TDs, 117 QBR (for perspective this past season Mahomes was 113 QBR) and his competitive drive and everything that made him GOAT in terms of winning.

When I saw that I could pair Brady with Jerry Rice in back to back picks, I couldn't resist.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:28 AM   #60
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

Brady is one of the greats to ever play and that season was one of the great all time seasons. For the record I'm not downplaying that. Rice to Brady would be sweet and you do have a nice OLine but you are going up against hellish pass rushers. You did not overvalue Brady really, it's hard to predict how these drafts go if he's the guy you really wanted. I also probably overvalue mobility.