For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > Sports Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2022, 01:09 PM   #13161
badger
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,727
Default

Definitely shocked at Chryst getting let go. Very much feels like an un-Wisconsin move to fire someone 5 weeks into the season, especially a guy with all of his connections to the program and state.

On the surface his firing seems like an overreaction to a bad start to the season, but I have to think it only happens because they view Leonhard as the best guy to lead the program in the future. Barring some crazy surprises, I don't think anybody else is going to get a serious look at the job unless JL really flounders as the interim coach.

As far as getting a "modern" OC, of course they'll want to get a person with some more creativity involved, but as long as Barry Alvarez is alive (despite him being retired) I'm sure whoever gets the job will need to develop a plan that maintains power running as the identity of the program. Part of that is stubbornness, but also it's a realistic view of the type of players we can recruit in the area.
__________________
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:03 PM   #13162
Dan
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,201
Default

Do you feel like the program has declined at all over the past few years? I’m not asking that because I think it — there’s this odd narrative on some OSU boards I frequent saying comments along those lines and it isn’t computing with me. You don’t have to abandon the power run identity, but evolving a bit and prioritizing a more capable passing game doesn’t sound too far fetched to me. They should be able to sell early playing time so some outside skill guys in the Midwest and snag a good enough armed QB to be able to up the game a bit.

It looked like they were obviously in for a down season but Chryst was pretty consistent and solid. 6-1 in bowls - and orange over Miami - some conference title game appearances etc. i don’t know; that’s one of the more interesting ones and it’s not easy for me to pick a side

Also, watching UGA be vulnerable for two weeks in a row it doesn’t sound insane to think Tennessee or Florida could pull it off. Their schedule is a little tough over the next few weeks. I don’t understand how the pool points work — in the sense that they and Alabama are swapped but UGA still has more first place votes?

Last edited by Dan; 10-03-2022 at 02:16 PM.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:41 PM   #13163
Fernando
LeBron James is a bitch
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,991
Default

Bront how is this something people like actively attending?

Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #13164
badger
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Do you feel like the program has declined at all over the past few years? Iím not asking that because I think it ó thereís this odd narrative on some OSU boards I frequent saying comments along those lines and it isnít computing with me. You donít have to abandon the power run identity, but evolving a bit and prioritizing a more capable passing game doesnít sound too far fetched to me. They should be able to sell early playing time so some outside skill guys in the Midwest and snag a good enough armed QB to be able to up the game a bit.

It looked like they were obviously in for a down season but Chryst was pretty consistent and solid. 6-1 in bowls - and orange over Miami - some conference title game appearances etc. i donít know; thatís one of the more interesting ones and itís not easy for me to pick a side

Also, watching UGA be vulnerable for two weeks in a row it doesnít sound insane to think Tennessee or Florida could pull it off. Their schedule is a little tough over the next few weeks. I donít understand how the pool points work ó in the sense that they and Alabama are swapped but UGA still has more first place votes?
I would probably describe it as stagnated rather than declined, but I could buy the argument after going 15-10 over the last 2.5 seasons since losing in the Rose Bowl 3 years ago.

What I bolded is pretty much what every Badger fan thinks and is hoping for. I think Chryst's failings with Mertz (the highest rated QB recruit we've ever had) had a role in why he's out. I think he was probably just overrated as a recruit and so the expectations were too high as far as what a team lead by him could accomplish, but Chryst's experience as a QB developer made everyone think he should at worst be an above average "Badger QB" so it's startling to see him perform worse than a Joel Stave, Scott Tolzien or Jack Coan.

Again, I think they've got all their hope in Leonhard and that is the main reason for the move. If he wasn't there, I think they would have stuck it out with Chryst as the solid guy.
__________________
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #13165
Brent
LeBron James is a bitch
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 16,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
Bront how is this something people like actively attending?
(mentioned this here a few weeks ago)

I went to midnight yell once and hated it; it's weird. also, the yell leaders are huge dorks. for the most part, the corp is all the marching band kids (they are required to be in it to be in the band) along with dumbasses who want to pretend they are in the military; most of them are not going into the service after graduation, so they are only in the corp because that was the only way they could get into A&M, which is most of them (or they have family that was in it and think it's some kind of stupid rite). I refer all other questions to this thread:

Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #13166
BeerBaron
LeBron James is a bitch
 
BeerBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 10,751
Default

Yeah, A&M has quickly gone form "oh cool, they're out-recruiting the big dogs, let's see what they do" to "eww, yuck" very, very, very quickly.

I'm sure plenty (most?) schools do dumb shit like that, but they're the perfect storm of unlikable things going on right now.
__________________
BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #13167
iowatreat
LeBron James is a bitch
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 12,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I would probably describe it as stagnated rather than declined, but I could buy the argument after going 15-10 over the last 2.5 seasons since losing in the Rose Bowl 3 years ago.

What I bolded is pretty much what every Badger fan thinks and is hoping for. I think Chryst's failings with Mertz (the highest rated QB recruit we've ever had) had a role in why he's out. I think he was probably just overrated as a recruit and so the expectations were too high as far as what a team lead by him could accomplish, but Chryst's experience as a QB developer made everyone think he should at worst be an above average "Badger QB" so it's startling to see him perform worse than a Joel Stave, Scott Tolzien or Jack Coan.

Again, I think they've got all their hope in Leonhard and that is the main reason for the move. If he wasn't there, I think they would have stuck it out with Chryst as the solid guy.
I haven't really paid attention this year but is your D struggling too? Usually we're in the same boat - great defense to keep games close, rely on a running game to set the pace of the game with QBs who execute vanilla passing games with minimal mistakes.

Have to think Mertz is the biggest reason for your struggles because Allen is a freak, but also seems like you aren't really stopping anyone either but might be a biproduct of defense being on the field 80% of the game.
iowatreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:29 PM   #13168
Fernando
LeBron James is a bitch
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
(mentioned this here a few weeks ago)

I went to midnight yell once and hated it; it's weird. also, the yell leaders are huge dorks. for the most part, the corp is all the marching band kids (they are required to be in it to be in the band) along with dumbasses who want to pretend they are in the military; most of them are not going into the service after graduation, so they are only in the corp because that was the only way they could get into A&M, which is most of them (or they have family that was in it and think it's some kind of stupid rite). I refer all other questions to this thread:

Yeah there was just a second video that surfaced and it's somehow worse than the first.

One of my best friends was in the corps. Funny enough, i've never asked him why exactly he joined.
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #13169
Brent
LeBron James is a bitch
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 16,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Yeah, A&M has quickly gone form "oh cool, they're out-recruiting the big dogs, let's see what they do" to "eww, yuck" very, very, very quickly.

I'm sure plenty (most?) schools do dumb shit like that, but they're the perfect storm of unlikable things going on right now.
I guess? not sure what has changed from before this season. after the last recruiting class, people made a big deal about us.

for some reason we were ranked #6 in the preseason. still not sure why. it wasn't like a bunch of freshmen were going to dominate the SEC West. we looked like ass last year, except on defense. from last season, we lost half our o-line, a now-NFL running back, most of our defensive linemen, our defensive coordinator, and we don't have a good QB (didn't have one last year, either). we have 14 freshmen in the two-deep this year, so I don't know what anyone expected but a lot of mistakes.

I think people like shitting on A&M which is fine, a lot of those alums who draw attention to themselves and think we're going to be good every year deserve all the teasing in the world.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:42 PM   #13170
Brent
LeBron James is a bitch
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 16,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
Yeah there was just a second video that surfaced and it's somehow worse than the first.
oh god, yeah definitely not watching that lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
One of my best friends was in the corps. Funny enough, i've never asked him why exactly he joined.
I am sure there are some who just find the corp appealing. I knew a guy who left after his third or fourth year, and he said it did help him learn to manage his time.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:02 PM   #13171
badger
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat View Post
I haven't really paid attention this year but is your D struggling too? Usually we're in the same boat - great defense to keep games close, rely on a running game to set the pace of the game with QBs who execute vanilla passing games with minimal mistakes.

Have to think Mertz is the biggest reason for your struggles because Allen is a freak, but also seems like you aren't really stopping anyone either but might be a biproduct of defense being on the field 80% of the game.
I would say it's still an above average defense overall. They definitely took a step back from last year with all the talent and experience they lost. More young guys and transfers are playing than I've ever seen before, so they've been using a lot simpler schemes. They don't have a Leo Chenal type guy on this team, but I assume the unit should generally improve as the season goes on they all gain experience.

And yes, the offense turning the ball over is putting more pressure on the defense and probably wearing them down as well.
__________________
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:39 PM   #13172
BeerBaron
LeBron James is a bitch
 
BeerBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 10,751
Default

Auburn apparently waiting to fire Harsin until after (presumably) getting destroyed by Georgia. Hugh Freeze is apparently the early favorite for a replacement there.
__________________
BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:45 PM   #13173
Brent
LeBron James is a bitch
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 16,253
Default

now that NIL is a thing, he won't have any issues.

well, aside from using the school-provided phone to order prostitutes.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:47 PM   #13174
BeerBaron
LeBron James is a bitch
 
BeerBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 10,751
Default

Well, as long as he doesn't badmouth his predecessor so badly that he sues for defamation, he won't have to worry about his phone getting turned over.

Definitely the lesson he took from that.
__________________
BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:48 PM   #13175
Dan
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,201
Default

Ewers has been practicing this week without likitation; he’s playing in the red river — not sure what to call it this year. I’ll roll with Texas I think because OU can’t really do much of anything defensively. The big 12 is fun as hell this year — so is the pac 12.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #13176
DallasM
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,140
Send a message via Skype™ to DallasM
Default

Spectacle of college football aside, Kansas/TCU is kinda terrible so far. Kansas seems overmatched and TCU can't give enough of a crap.
DallasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:01 PM   #13177
DallasM
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,140
Send a message via Skype™ to DallasM
Default

Also it's obvious kansas has no answer for johnston, this is like Ja'Marr Chase vs vanderbilt.

Last edited by DallasM; 10-08-2022 at 05:07 PM.
DallasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:07 PM   #13178
DallasM
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,140
Send a message via Skype™ to DallasM
Default

I gotta wonder if Arch Manning pulls the same thing that Ewers did and transfer when he doesn't have a shot at significant starting time? Ewers looks legit.
DallasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:15 PM   #13179
DallasM
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4,140
Send a message via Skype™ to DallasM
Default

Jalon Daniels' shoulder down. If it's significant, we can close the book on Kansas' season.
DallasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:22 PM   #13180
Lil Quip
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasM View Post
I gotta wonder if Arch Manning pulls the same thing that Ewers did and transfer when he doesn't have a shot at significant starting time? Ewers looks legit.
So apparently Josh Heupel knows what he is doing. Next in line of middling NFL backup types that take the OC to HC track.

With just cursory research, you have a vogue young offensive HC, the current starter being a senior, and the obvious Peyton connection, maybe Arch makes his way to Tennessee.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.