Go Back   For The Sports > Sports Discussion > NFL Archive

Old 10-04-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
BeerBaron
LeBron James is a bitch

Default NFL Week 5 Discussion Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #2
Fernando
LeBron James is a bitch

I hope the Rams look as beatable Sunday as they were yesterday.
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #3
BeerBaron
LeBron James is a bitch

Seems to come down to the quality of the opposing pass rush. They got eaten alive by the Bills and 49ers. Cardinals/Falcons, not so much...

Their OL is badly beat up too. Should be to the Cowboys advantage.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:39 PM   #4
fenikz
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
I hope the Rams look as beatable Sunday as they were yesterday.
They looked bad vs Arizona too, we just couldn't get out of our own way with I think 9 drops and going 0-4 on touchdowns in the red zone

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:11 PM   #5
BeerBaron
LeBron James is a bitch

Bi-Weekly Coaching Hot Seat update:

Red Hot:
- Matt Rhule - Dead coach walking. Does he even survive the season? Which college job will he get?

- Mike McCarthy - Nothing has changed. He needs to get to the playoffs and win at least one game. These recent wins are great and help toward that first point, but even if they win out in the regular season, his job is still in jeopardy if they fall flat on their face in the post season. With Sean Payton sitting out there, anything short of a NFCCG appearance could prompt Jerry to dump McCarthy and see if Payton can push them over the hump.

- Frank Reich - Them beating the Chiefs is the most stunning result of the season so far. The team has otherwise looked pathetic and is 0-3. They pushed their luck on the "washed-up QB" treadmill and it's clear that Matt Ryan isn't going to take this team where it needs to go this year. How long until we see if Foles has any magic left to salvage the season, and maybe Reich's job?

Seat Hot, but Likely to Stay:

- Kliff Kingsbury - Two ugly wins after slow starts is not where this team expects to be. Kyler still makes boneheaded mistakes and takes too long to get going, which considering the extension he just signed, is going to be pinned on the coaching staff. Kingsbury also got an extension and the Bidwells don't like to pay people not to do things, so he will likely stay unless the season goes into complete disaster territory.

- Ron Rivera - Three straight losses, Wentz is clearly not good, the defense is not playing up to the talent level of their front... But rumors are that other owners are coming around to potentially force Snyder out so they probably won't make drastic changes as all of that plays out, so I could see Rivera being safe for another year.

- Nathaniel Hackett - Though 2-2, they feel like they could easily be 0-4 (and some fans/media seem to treat them that way anyway). They're hitched to Russ for at least the next few years and he's buddy-buddy with Hackett, so it would take a truly terrible finish for them to move on after one year.

Heating Up:
- Dennis Allen - Until they made a game out of it at the very end, this seemed like a lost team. No QB of the future on the roster, depleted offense in general, defense not playing up to previous years' standards... Internal promotions seem especially prone to quick hooks, so if this season goes badly enough, they could decide to go with a complete overhaul.

- Dan Campbell - If this were a stove, this is like the "warm" setting, not even a number on the dial, but there has to be just a tiny bit of heat for the way this is going. They can score...in desperation once another team has started to run away with it. He swears Aaron Glenn is his guy and safe, and they will have ample opportunities to actually turn it around and get some wins, but if they finish as one of the highest scoring teams but are no where near playoff contention, the blame has to go somewhere. I think it's ultimately a situation where he'll be kept but forced to make changes to his defensive staff, but there has to be a little heat.

Seat Cooling:

- Mike Vrabel - Awful 0-2 start, Tannehill looking like he's regressed, they miss AJ Brown, big injuries on defense...but he's pulled off two straight wins to take some of the heat off. That division isn't very good and could easily be won by a ~.500 team, which would be enough for him to stay if still counting as a disappointment.

- Brandon Staley - They got a badly needed win over a very bad team, but they're still overwhelmed with injuries and he still struggles with overall coaching/decision making. If the season doesn't go completely in the toilet and they stay in playoff contention late into the year, he should likely be safe, but will start on the hot season for season 3.

- Arthur Smith - Another team who has gotten off the schneid with two straight wins. I still don't think they have the talent to compete for a full season, and now without Patterson for at least four weeks as well, but the heat has been turned down for now.

- Zac Taylor - Yet another team that started 0-2 getting back to .500 to turn the heat down. Still concerning, still needs to at least make the playoffs to ensure that he'll be back.

Who Knows, Not a Real Long-Term Option:
Lovie Smith

First Year, Probably Safe:
Matt Eberflus
Kevin O'Connell
Brian Daboll
Mike McDaniel
Doug Pederson
Josh McDaniels

Safe Barring Catastrophe:
Nick Sirianni
Todd Bowles
Kevin Stefanski
Robert Saleh

Only if they Retire (or "Are Retired"):
Pete Carroll
Bill Belichick

Safe as Can Be:
Matt LeFleur
Sean McVay
Kyle Shanahan
John Harbaugh
Mike Tomlin
Sean McDermott
Andy Reid

Last edited by BeerBaron; 10-04-2022 at 02:13 PM.
BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:44 PM   #6
Dragon
Super Senior Member

Jesus how many prime time games do the Broncos have this year? I think this is their 4th in 5 games.
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:15 PM   #7
Prock
LeBron James is a bitch

Matt Ryan has $18m in dead cap next year. The Colts are effed.
Prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:53 PM   #8
BeerBaron
LeBron James is a bitch

Yeah, when the Falcons only wanted a single 3rd rounder for him, it should have been a sign. Still feels like a fleecing just for getting out of his contract.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:06 PM   #9
Prock
LeBron James is a bitch

A conditional 7th or something just to get out of the contract would've been a good deal for Atlanta. Definitely a fleecing.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:04 PM   #10
BeerBaron
LeBron James is a bitch

Jake Fromm working out for the Giants. Time for some more QB sneaks...

Old 10-04-2022, 05:15 PM   #11
Brodie
LeBron James is a bitch

I don't really understand the "they can score when the other team has started to run away from it" critique of the Lions? They have literally scored a TD in every single quarter this season besides the 4th quarter in the Vikings game, which they led the entire time until the very end of the game.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:17 PM   #12
BeerBaron
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I don't really understand the "they can score when the other team has started to run away from it" critique of the Lions? They have literally scored a TD in every single quarter this season besides the 4th quarter in the Vikings game, which they led the entire time until the very end of the game.
Besides that being precisely what happened against the Eagles and Seahawks? The final score is closer than the game ever really was.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:17 PM   #13
fenikz
LeBron James is a bitch

Without R/NBA & R/NFL my life is much happier, it's the equivalent of not watching ESPN

Old 10-04-2022, 05:18 PM   #14
Brodie
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Besides that being precisely what happened against the Eagles and Seahawks? The final score is closer than the game ever really was.
But you're acting like the offense can't score unless they're down which is not true at all. Yeah they had to mount comebacks in both games but in the Seahawks game they were never down more than 2 possessions and the Eagles have been ahead by 3 possessions in other games without allowing a ton of points late.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:19 PM   #15
BeerBaron
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Without R/NBA & R/NFL my life is much happier, it's the equivalent of not watching ESPN
Dear god, why? I do all I can to avoid groups of casual fans, online or otherwise. That place is like ground zero for those types.

Useful once in a while when you need paywalled info, but I try very hard to not read anything else when I have to go in there.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:20 PM   #16
fenikz
LeBron James is a bitch

ya I guess I just joined all the subs when I first got on reddit, then I realized that listening to bad Cardinals fans takes was more than enough

Old 10-04-2022, 05:28 PM   #17
nepg
LeBron James is a bitch

I go to those subreddits to watch people rage. Then I dip out.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:36 PM   #18
fenikz
LeBron James is a bitch

I feel like it used to be meme heavy but looks like they are banned now

Old 10-04-2022, 05:44 PM   #19
Prock
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Old 10-05-2022, 02:34 PM   #20
dg151
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Lions are 13th in EPA/play in the first half, 4th in the 2nd half. 2nd half offense is 17th when the win probability is below 90%. Dunno seems like there is something there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
Please don't berate me for being insanely right, all the time.
dg151 is online now   Reply With Quote