For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > Sports Discussion > Individual Team Threads

Old 07-22-2022, 10:55 PM   #18901
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

“I think if Kellen decides to feature him, he’s definitely ready to step up,” Cooper on Friday told “Norm and D Invasion” on Sportsradio 96.7-FM/1310-AM The Ticket.

“CeeDee is a playmaker.”

Why wouldn’t Moore want to feature him? If you scroll the Cowboys’ receiver group, it leaves plenty of questions behind the talented Lamb.

Moore is tasked with getting Lamb the ball to move this offense. Lamb must be the No. 1 option, as Cooper was last season.

“Even though we had a really good season, the few losses that we did have, they were all to the teams that we would potentially play in the playoffs,” Cooper said. “So I was kind of frustrated, in that regard, because I saw the trend of me getting the ball in the red area, and stuff like that, and I was like, man, all these playoff teams that we’re losing to, we’re going to have to play them again. And if we play them how we played them, not taking advantage of the playmakers that we have so that we can win, we were going to lose. I was able to foresee that.”

Cooper saw something Moore didn’t. Or maybe Moore saw it and couldn’t figure things out.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:59 AM   #18902
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Moore can feature him all he wants. Dak will just look him off and say "I took what the defense gave me".... aka holding onto the ball for 8 seconds and throwing it to his fourth option.
D-Unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:41 PM   #18903
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Annnnnd we're back!

https://twitter.com/davidhelman_/sta...77790153891841

Old 07-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #18904
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

QB1

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/statu...77821607051264

Old 07-28-2022, 08:00 PM   #18905
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

We dont need Cooper, Dak makes everybody better! Lol.

Quote:
So far, the Cowboys defense is significantly ahead of the offense. During the two-minute drill sequences we’ve seen for the 1’s, they’ve performed much better, including Anthony Brown’s pick-6 yesterday, and a turnover on downs today.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:23 PM   #18906
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Micah Parsons has continued where he left off as he found himself in the backfield on multiple occasions in team drills. He returns to the scene where he took the headlines by storm as a rookie last season. Thursday he would've stacked up at least two sacks during a dominant practice.

Things continued on Day 2 without rookie fifth-round pick Matt Waletzko, with the offensive lineman leaving practice early on to be evaluated by the team's athletic training staff. His status is currently unknown, as trainers continue working to determine if there is any news to report on his future availability. Waletzko is set to battle for playing time on an offensive line that is desperately seeking to improve.

It was another crisp day for Dak Prescott, who looks confident in his mobility and is decisive with his targeting. From individual drills to team reps, including two-minute drills, Prescott is moving around very well — including with traffic in the pocket — and making accurate throws both underneath and down the field.

It was a better day for wide receiver James Washington, who was present and accounted for in the second practice of training camp after having dinged his shoulder the day prior on a deep throw from Prescott. And the veteran receiver didn't waste any reps on Day 2, making a couple of impressive catches from Prescott in team drills.

One player to keep an eye on is wide receiver Dennis Houston, an undrafted rookie out of Western Illinois who had a very good day in the second practice. Houston's routes were crisp, quick and without wasted movement, and he put a lot of pressure on opposing cornerbacks to keep up with him.

Jalen Tolbert continues to impress as training camp gets underway, carrying over his positive momentum from minicamp. The rookie third-round pick stole the show in team drills, when he high-pointed a throw to make a catch over former second-round pick Kelvin Joseph — who was draped over him like a blanket.

Joseph had an up-and-down practice on Thursday. He took some scattered snaps with other first-team members of the defense. However, his most memorable play came when Houston elevated over the top of Joseph for an impressive grab.

Nice job by the first-team defense of stopping the offense from scoring in a two-minute, end-of-half situation. Prescott got the offense into scoring position with four straight completions, but a fourth-and-4 pass to tight end Sean McKeon got batted down.

Malik Jefferson, a former star linebacker for the Longhorns, was able to get heavily into the mix with others at the position, and looked physically ready for the task at-hand. That assignment is to show the Cowboys he deserves a final roster spot at a position of need on his hometown team.

DeMarcus Lawrence says rookie second-round pick Sam Williams "doesn't know" just how many tools he already has in his toolbox, and "absolutely" believes Williams has what it takes to make an impact for the Cowboys on Day 1 and beyond. Lawrence believes Williams has a very high upside.

Michael Gallup stated his recovery from a torn ACL suffered in January has gone well with no setbacks, and while there's still "a ways to go" in his recovery, he's able to currently to "a whole lot more" than a few weeks ago. The veteran wideout did note it's "not reasonable" to pencil him in for Week 1, but reiterates things are progressing well.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:38 AM   #18907
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

good stuff
Old 07-30-2022, 09:28 PM   #18908
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

• Wide receiver T.J. Vasher had the play of the first three days — a possible candidate for best play of the camp. He used his 6-foot-6 height advantage to high-point a throw from third-string quarterback Will Grier over the top of second-year cornerback Kelvin Joseph.

Vasher has made some nice catches early in camp. For a Cowboys team that needs help with its wide receiver depth, Vasher, a second-year player out of Texas Tech, could make a case for a roster spot with a strong few weeks.

• Anthony Brown continues to show that it will be difficult for anyone to take his starting spot. The veteran cornerback has looked good early in camp, intercepting Dak Prescott in the first practice and making some nice breakups on other throws.

“AB is having a heck of a camp,” Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Friday. “Frankly, I’ll be honest with you, he’s picked up right where he left off last year. I think he’s someone that should get more love from you guys — just a suggestion. I think he’s done a lot of good things.

“But more importantly, he’s very, very consistent. What I love about AB is he’s the same guy every day. He’s gotten stronger. I know in my time here — this is Year 3 — he made a big jump from the first year to the second year. I thought he had a heck of a year last year. I think he’s really just picked up right where he left off.”

• Prescott spent extra time after practice working on some red zone throws to CeeDee Lamb and Jalen Tolbert. The first-team offense struggled at times the first two days but looked better Friday.

• It continues to be easy to find Micah Parsons.

Defenders aren’t hitting quarterbacks when they get home on a pass rush — they either hold up or run past the QB. That’s good for Prescott because Parsons would’ve been able to land some shots if the practices were being played like games.

“Last year, I was just trying to earn the respect of my fellow teammates and my fellow players across the league,” Parsons said Friday. “This year, I just want to go out there and dominate now.”

Parsons talked on 105.3 The Fan about some pass-rushing advice he got from former Cowboys right tackle La’el Collins: “He was like: ‘Watch Von Miller. When I went against Von Miller early in my career, the whole first half I thought I had him figured out. He was just going speed, going speed, going speed. In the second half, he had two, three sacks. He hit me with a spin move, an inside move. He just set me up. That’s how you gotta do it. You have to set them up. You got that Von Miller, crazy get-off speed. Just go speed, speed, speed, set them up, set them up. And then boom, hit them with an inside move, hit them with a counter.’

“And he was right.”

Parsons also spoke on The Fan about why he wants to continue playing linebacker and defensive end, rather than just being an edge rusher at this point in his career.

“I think once I start losing my speed, I’ll go to the edge,” Parsons said. “But right now, I’m just having so much fun doing everything. That’s the matchup that I like because I can find a one-on-one. Right now, if I just play truly edge, it’s easy to leave a back over there to chip; it’s easy to slide protection. But being able to move around and be that fifth guy, still be able to drop, still be able to play man coverage out of the backfield, that’s what makes the chess match. That’s what makes teams actually have to scheme, versus just playing regular edge. I’m having too much fun at linebacker. I’m just having fun playing football, let’s just put it like that.”

• Rookie offensive tackle Matt Waletzko (shoulder) left practice early on Thursday. He didn’t practice Friday and won’t on Saturday. McCarthy doesn’t see it as something that will force the Cowboys to add a player at the position, but Waletzko could be out for a bit.

Second-year offensive tackle Josh Ball, who had been working at backup right tackle, got a lot of work at left tackle Friday, including with the first-team offense.

• Why haven’t there been any reports on the kickers so far? They haven’t been kicking field goals during practice. That’ll likely take place in the coming days when the pads come on.

• Trevon Diggs recorded his first interception of camp Friday, as the first-team defense faced the second-team offense in two-minute-drill work. It appeared the intended wide receiver ran the incorrect route near the left sideline, while Diggs was in the perfect position to make a play.

• While talking about fundamentals Friday, McCarthy mentioned a “Cowboys 6” that the coaching staff emphasizes. He later described the six as follows: 1.) Ball security: Taking care of the ball and taking it away. 2.) Tackling: Breaking tackles on offense and making tackles on defense. 3.) Blocking: Getting off blocks on defense and blocking on offense. 4.) Big-play opportunities. 5.) Pursuit and finish. 6.) Winning the pre-snap, which focuses on the mannerisms that take place before the ball is snapped.

• Undrafted rookie free-agent safety Markquese Bell continues to impress the coaching staff. He has a good shot at making the team because of his work on special teams.

“He’s been extremely impressive,” McCarthy said. “I’ll tell you, he’s probably — of the rookie class — one of the top guys who jumped out in the offseason program. We felt right away that this young man has an excellent chance to do some excellent things, and he hasn’t disappointed at all.”

• Jerry Jones has said he wanted other NFL teams to think he was considering Dan Quinn as possibly the next Cowboys head coach so he could keep Quinn as the defensive coordinator. So, it’s easy to see how that could have made things awkward between McCarthy and Quinn.

“Nah, we’re two Irish guys over 50,” McCarthy said, nixing that thought. “I really enjoy Dan. I’ve always known him from across the field and always had a lot of respect for him. Dan was in San Francisco before I got there. I think, like a lot of things in this business, you know of guys, particularly when you follow a guy on a staff. To get to know him personally, he’s become a dear friend, and he’s an outstanding football coach. He’s a huge asset for us. We talk about everything, so it’s all good.”
Old 07-31-2022, 01:40 AM   #18909
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

It was simply a workload management day for wide receiver CeeDee Lamb, who took part individual drills – where he had a nice one-handed catch from Prescott – but saw his reps scaled back in team drills. The players are off Sunday and the first padded practice is scheduled for Monday.

First glimpse of the kicking competition between rookie Jonathan Garibay and Lirim Hajrullahu: Garibay made 4 of 8 field goal attempts and Hajrullahu went 7 of 8, with most kick distances somewhere in the 40s.

This is still the time when players are rotating, especially with the backup spots. But Will Grier seems like he's battling for the No. 2 job with Cooper Rush. In fact, Grier again the first reps with the second-team unit in the two-minute offense. The fourth-year veteran, who joined the Cowboys last season, has only played two games in his career – starting both of them in 2019 with the Panthers. Rush and Grier are two of the three backups behind Dak Prescott, along with Ben DiNucci.

Productive day for the offense in red zone/goal line work. Wide receiver James Washington got behind the defense to catch a touchdown pass from Prescott, and running backs Tony Pollard and Rico Dowdle had touchdown runs (though obviously not tackling situations).

It feels like every day there's another member of the secondary makes a splash play. Saturday, that play was made by cornerback Nahshon Wright on a near interception at the end of the team period, jumping a route by Dennis Houston over the middle.

It appears the quickness has improved for DeMarcus Lawrence during multiple hoop drills. Monday will be the first true look at a slimmed-down and quicker Lawrence as the pads come on for the first time in Oxnard.

A couple of former defensive backs were at practice, including veteran Orlando Scandrick, who played 10 seasons with the Cowboys from 2008-17. Also, Wendell Davis (1996-99) was at practice on Saturday.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #18910
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

The Cowboys are hoping for the best as it relates to the status of veteran wide receiver James Washington. The former second-round pick was carted out of practice on Monday - the first padded practice of training camp -- after going down with an apparent injury in 7-on-7 drills. He is currently being evaluated by the Cowboys training staff, and it is currently unknown if he'll miss time going forward.

The 26-year-old Washington was signed this offseason as a potential insurance measure following the trade of four-time Pro Bowl receiver Amari Cooper and the loss of Cedrick Wilson to free agency, but Washington has had an up-and-down camp thus far. He dinged his shoulder on Day 1 after diving for a deep pass from quarterback Dak Prescott and, less than one week later, is now potentially facing a more worrisome injury.

Not long after Washington left the field on a cart, the Cowboys got another scare when Jayron Kearse walked off the field and into the locker room momentarily. A big ovation came from the fans when Kearse ran back onto field and continued practice. Kearse said he stepped awkwardly during a drill and tweaked his knee but was never overly concerned. Kearse is in his second season with the Cowboys, flourishing in a hybrid role that has him playing both safety and linebacker.

It's becoming more and more evident that CeeDee Lamb is ready to take on the role of WR1 going forward. It's been an offseason filled with affirming statements from players and coaches alike regarding Lamb's ability to step into the role for 2022 -- including from the former first-round pick himself -- but it's now manifesting in a real way in Oxnard.

The connection from Prescott to Lamb is beginning to steal the show on a regular basis, the former routinely making the difficult throws look easy while the latter rewards him with acrobatic catches, yards after those catches and touchdowns. Given the trajectory of their chemistry, Lamb is possibly en route to a career-best season.

Tyler Smith got his first taste of NFL action with full pads on Monday. He didn't waste much time getting into a physical brand of football, flattening Trysten Hill on a run play during team drills. He was known as a strong run blocker during his time at Tulsa, and he showed signs of that in Oxnard.

While Trysten Hill was on the wrong side of Tyler Smith's pancake block, he put together another solid practice. His speed and hands at the line of scrimmage helped him win battles in the pass rush and some positional drills.

The competition at kicker is well underway now for the Cowboys. After a first week that saw little in the way of testing both Jonathan Garibay and Lirim Hajrullahu, head coach Mike McCarthy promised the second week would be chock full of reps for both, and that came to fruition on Monday. The day was owned by Hajrullahu, who made multiple long-distance kicks in situational two-minute drills, while Garibay (who was mostly accurate in individual drills) struggled to split the uprights, including a miss off of the left post in one of McCarthy's "Mojo Moments" of practice.

Quiet as it's been kept to this point, Noah Brown has been consistently reliable over the first five practices of training camp. This means he's apparently ready to roll over his positive momentum from 2021 into the 2022 season, and the Cowboys would love nothing more than for that to be the case given the potential loss of Washington. Brown re-signed with the team on another one-year deal, which means he again has to prove himself to the coaching staff, but he has an inside edge in having done so last season and in knowing the scheme of offensive coordinator Kellen Moore so well, along with jumping out early in his practice performances at training camp.

The cornerbacks were active in passing lanes again Monday. Nahshon Wright intercepted a jump-ball throw by Will Grier intended for T.J. Vasher. Anthony Brown got his hands on a Dak Prescott pass intended for tight end Jake Ferguson, but it landed in the hands of Simi Fehoko for a sizable gain.
Rookie running back Aaron Shampklin was not at practice on Monday. No official word came from the Cowboys on his status.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #18911
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

We need to sign another WR pronto. If only we had a guy like Cooper on the roster.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:47 PM   #18912
Fernando
LeBron James is a bitch

Gonna guess we bring Beasley back.
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:23 PM   #18913
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Mid. Season. Form.

Quote:
Jeff Cavanaugh
@timeforjeffrey
Dak missed CeeDee in the intermediate deep area for the 3rd time today while open. Not throwing it great today.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:08 PM   #18914
thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
Gonna guess we bring Beasley back.
Lol we traded cooper for not getting vaxxed…no way we bring back the poster boy for the movement.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:22 PM   #18915
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

We got Anthony Barr baby!!! Wooohooo
Old 08-04-2022, 04:26 AM   #18916
D-Unit
Super Senior Member

Keep the reports coming pocket!
Old 08-05-2022, 01:01 AM   #18917
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Fullback Ryan Nall's shoulder injury that could sideline him for 2-4 weeks, forced the Cowboys to do some familiar shuffling in the running game.

Despite still splitting first-team reps at left guard, Connor McGovern went back to his role as an occasional fullback. And when that happened, first-round pick Tyler Smith got his first-team reps at left guard. Along with McGovern, backup center Matt Farniok was also used a couple of times as a fullback.

Things are truly getting intriguing as it relates to what the actual role for KaVontae Turpin might be in 2022. If you put any credence into the praise Turpin has received from special teams coordinator John "Bones" Fassel, and you should, it sounds as if the speedster is virtually a lock to make the team as a returner, but there might be more than meets the eye here -- as the reigning USFL MVP has not only begun making plays for the offense as a receiver, but being the recipient of a handoff out of the backfield on Thursday hints at the Cowboys potentially using him as a halfback in certain packages.

Speaking of the situation at running back, when offensive coordinator Kellen Moore intimated the Cowboys would look to utilized more packages the feature both Ezekiel Elliott and Tony Pollard on the field simultaneously, he wasn't kidding. On Thursday, there were at least two separate occasions in which that plan materialized, and even more interesting was in how Elliott became the lead blocker for Pollard, a fullback role usually reserved for Ryan Nall; but with Nall set to miss time due to a shoulder injury, the Cowboys have that much more motivation to experiment with Elliott and Pollard to see what fruit they can pluck from that tree.

The 1-on-1 passing drills were dominated by the receivers on Thursday, as nearly all of the front-line players won their battles. CeeDee Lamb got Trevon Diggs on a deep post, running by the All-Pro corner by about five yards for a score. Jalen Tolbert also caught a deep ball, as did Noah Brown and T.J. Vasher. During the team drills, it was more competitive, but 1-on-1's went to the receivers on this day.

Noah Brown was arguably the most consistent of the backup receivers on Thursday, catching passes over the middle both high and low. Brown made a diving catch right off the ground to extend a drive. He also had some nice sideline grabs, beating Anthony Brown on an out-route.

Kickers Lirim Hajrullahu and Jonathan Garibay again took center stage during Thursday's "Mojo Moment," a quick-clock situation for the offense. Hajrullahu made 3-of-3 attempts from 42, 47 and 42 yards. Garibay was 3-of-4 from similar distances. To make things a little more interesting, the coaching staff tried to 'ice' both kickers with a late timeout and some artificial penalties. Earlier in practice, Hajrullah went 7-of-8 and Garibay 4-of-8.

Some nice competition between the receivers and cornerbacks throughout practice. The receivers had the edge in one-on-one go-route drills, with rookie Jalen Tolbert and Simi Fehoko scoring touchdowns. In team drills, quarterback Will Grier hit rookie receiver Jaquarii Roberson perfectly in stride for a touchdown. But cornerbacks Anthony Brown and Jourdan Lewis also shined in team drills, getting their hands on multiple passes. Lewis got his fingertips on a deep ball to Fehoko that saved a touchdown.
Linebacker Leighton Vander Esch was excused from Thursday's practice to attend to a personal matter.

Linebacker Jabril Cox and tight end Jake Ferguson did some rehab work with the athletic training staff during practice. The Cowboys are being smart with Cox's reps as he returns from last year's ACL injury. Ferguson has a hamstring injury that isn't considered serious.

Rookie wide receiver Dontario Drummond passed his physical and returned to practice from the Active/Physically Unable to Perform list.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:12 PM   #18918
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Top performer: Micah Parsons. Defenders aren’t tackling to the ground or hitting the quarterback in camp practices, but the second-year linebacker/edge rusher was still routinely making his presence known, including several times during team drills Tuesday. Parsons should be expected to pick up where he left off last season and contend for NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Biggest surprise: Simi Fehoko. Noah Brown was also in consideration. Both wide receivers have stepped up recently since James Washington went down with a foot injury. Fehoko has consistently come up big, particularly in the red zone, using his size and speed to create space on deep balls or make contested catches in traffic. Fehoko only played in five games last year as a rookie. He was on the field for only seven offensive snaps all season. He looks ready to contribute in Year 2, which the Cowboys desperately need considering how thin they are at the position.

Biggest disappointment: Jonathan Garibay. Losing Washington to injury in the first practice in pads was also in consideration. But Garibay entered camp as the favorite to be Dallas’ kicker this season and he never looked comfortable. No one expected him to be waived before the first preseason game, but things got so bad that Dallas worked out four kickers Tuesday morning and ended up signing former Cowboy Brett Maher and moving on from the former Texas Tech standout. Now, Maher will battle Lirim Hajrullahu, who has kicked well lately. He made 12 of 13 kicks on Tuesday.

Most consistent: Anthony Brown. Zack Martin could probably be named here every training camp, but Brown has consistently played well and received significant praise from several coaches and front office members over the past two weeks. Last year at this time, many were calling for rookie Kelvin Joseph to start over Brown. There’s been no such chatter this time around. Brown probably won’t lead the team in interceptions, but the Cowboys are confident in his ability to play well opposite of All-Pro CB Trevon Diggs.

Best play: T.J. Vasher’s one-handed catch over Joseph in team drills. This was in the third practice, so full pads were not on at the time. But it’s hard to argue with the impressive concentration and athleticism to make this play.

Most entertaining battle: Any time CeeDee Lamb went against Diggs. Lamb was often being defended by Jourdan Lewis, but there were some one-on-one drills when the team’s top DB and top WR squared off.

Most physical practice
: Tuesday’s session was the winner, which is to be expected with so much goal-line work. Punches were never thrown, but DT John Ridgeway and LG Connor McGovern had to be separated after one play, as did OT Josh Ball and DE Sam Williams on another. Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy was not pleased.

“The last thing you want to see a guy do is throw a punch and break his hand,” McCarthy said before Tuesday’s practice. “Fights are a waste of time. There was a day and age when we all enjoyed a good old fight. But you throw a punch, you’re out of the game.

“You want the physicality, you want the competitiveness, you want the chippiness. I want all of that, trust me. … But they’ve got to be disciplined at that point. Everybody’s got to lock up and get their guy out of there. That’s part of football.”
Old 08-11-2022, 08:36 PM   #18919
pocketaces
Super Senior Member

Sounds like the Broncos kicked our asses today in a joint practice.

Tags
100 iq or less thread, broken bones romo, d unit is poor, fuck dez bryant, jerrah is a racist, romo glass qb