For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2020, 03:09 AM   #2081
Forenci
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
Had to take my boys in for a test last Friday. A kid in before school care tested positive and therefore upwards of 50 kids had to quarantine as having close contact. Can't accurately contact trace in an elementary program run by high school kids.

One son came back negative the other is still "pending". I am going to be fucking pissed if it is positive because some asshole chose to ignore safety protocols because his/her 1st grader "needed" to go to fucking hockey. (I have insider info that it was a hockey kid who tested positive).
Yeah my fiancee is a special education teacher. It sucks for teachers (speaking as a former teacher as well). She works with elementary students with special needs, so it's almost impossible for them to adhere to any distancing or use of protective equipment. She wears a mask, face shield, and gloves, but it still sucks.

Speaking as a high school teacher, once they come back (rumored to be going back to full in-person classes in November) it's going to be a mess. I loved my students, but there's no way you can expect high school kids to adhere to social distancing and consistent mask usage. Hell, you couldn't get them to put their IDs on, nevermind wearing masks. I'm glad last year was my final year of teaching. I had 30+ kids packed into a small room for 7 hours a day. It's going to spread like crazy in schools.

Last edited by Forenci; 11-03-2020 at 03:12 AM.
Forenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:53 AM   #2082
The_Dude

Dude, my HS students have been AWESOME about thr masks and hand sanitizer. Social distancing.... sort of. My district is switching from hybrid to full distance next week. I'm disappointed because I'm having a great time with the kids in my classes. My digital only students so far have been hit or miss.

2nd son's test just came back negative, too. Whew.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:00 AM   #2083
scottyboy
Super Senior Member

yeah we're supposed to go back in a hybrid model in two weeks. Gonna be a shittttshowww

ALSO my best friend is an ER nurse in north Jersey and a text I got was "hey, sorry, just seeing your text now. It's swamped at work, things are getting more covidy"

So that's GREAT
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #2084
towelie
LeBron James is a bitch

towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #2085
fenikz
LeBron James is a bitch

The little uptick is like the end of a horror film where the hand twitches

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #2086
badger
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by towelie View Post

Is that for NY? Wisconsin has like 1800 hospitalizations right now by itself.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #2087
towelie
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Is that for NY? Wisconsin has like 1800 hospitalizations right now by itself.
yep, home of the greatest baseball club in the world
towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #2088
Brent
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by towelie View Post
yep, home of the greatest baseball club in the world
the mets?
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:30 PM   #2089
fischbowl

Is there any data that shows a restaurant curfew actually works? As opposed to closing them with financial support from the goverment? 10 PM was just imposed here in New York and seems entirely arbitrary, backtracking from last week when the governor/mayor allowed for outdoor seating throughout the winter. Major costs have already been incurred setting up heating and infrastructure for that to actually happen. The service industry in the city is already fucked and this isn't going to help...
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:35 PM   #2090
Jughead
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
Is there any data that shows a restaurant curfew actually works? As opposed to closing them with financial support from the goverment? 10 PM was just imposed here in New York and seems entirely arbitrary, backtracking from last week when the governor/mayor allowed for outdoor seating throughout the winter. Major costs have already been incurred setting up heating and infrastructure for that to actually happen. The service industry in the city is already fucked and this isn't going to help...
I assumed it was to prevent people from hanging out and getting drunk. Basically shuts down bars in young areas where idiot 22 year olds would still go out like this didn't exist. But at the same time still allows them to serve food.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:36 PM   #2091
iowatreat
LeBron James is a bitch

Honestly I thought it was because the later places stay open, the more chance shitty people/shitty places allow more crowds in true bar atmosphere, and as people would drink more the less restrictions will be followed.

I've maintained that all restaurant/bar restrictions are due to the stupid 5% of places that ruin it for everyone else. Your run of the mill restaurant is probably following rules and has no reason to close by 9 pm.
iowatreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:51 PM   #2092
fischbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
I assumed it was to prevent people from hanging out and getting drunk. Basically shuts down bars in young areas where idiot 22 year olds would still go out like this didn't exist. But at the same time still allows them to serve food.
I mean, this seems to be the surface argument but that doesn't account for the thousands this will affect here in New York without a viable stimulus or even eviction protection.
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:09 PM   #2093
Jughead
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
I mean, this seems to be the surface argument but that doesn't account for the thousands this will affect here in New York without a viable stimulus or even eviction protection.
I hear ya, but letting Coivd run rampant when we have no idea when or if that's coming doesn't sound like a great idea either.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:58 AM   #2094
JoeJoeBrown
Super Senior Member

I can’t wait for covid vaccines because apparently humans can’t make rational choices that involve more than three layers of a decision tree.

Holistic solutions are anathema to American culture.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #2095
fenikz
LeBron James is a bitch

Ducey has gone silent as AZ climbs again

I wonder if it's the snowbirds, or the trump rallys, or just normal spread due to laxed rules

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:49 PM   #2096
OSUGiants
Super Senior Member

Hands down the dumbest measure in NY/NJ has to be “all gyms must close by 10pm”

Someone explain the logic there
Old 11-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #2097
Brent
LeBron James is a bitch

because they have to allow places to open so they don't go under, since the federal government isn't bailing any business out or giving out stimulus checks.

local officials have to let things stay open or their economy is going to die.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #2098
iowatreat
LeBron James is a bitch

There's shit going around on facebook/twitter here that Illinois is the only state in the country that has completely banned indoor dining. Is that true? I guess most cities and parts of states have done it but was surprised at that.
iowatreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:49 PM   #2099
Dan
Super Senior Member

I haven’t looked but didn’t lightfood effectuate it again before JB? I’d hope they’re not the only state right now. So much for the Midwest governors being the same page
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:54 PM   #2100
Zak
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat View Post
There's shit going around on facebook/twitter here that Illinois is the only state in the country that has completely banned indoor dining. Is that true? I guess most cities and parts of states have done it but was surprised at that.
You mean currently or since Covid began?
Zak is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
the wind of god