For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > Sports Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2022, 02:56 AM   #1
The Alex
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The DMV
Posts: 5,613
Default The NFL Hall of Should

The baseball Hall of Fame vote got me so annoyed this year that I've started working on "The Hall of Should" for both MLB and the NFL. I've been going through tons of research to include as many names as possible because I believe they've left out far too many names over the years and some dudes took so long to get inducted that they didn't even get to see it happen because they were dead. It took Bullet Bob Hayes 44 years to get inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame and by then he was dead. This is supposed to be the last chance for the guys to get a standing ovation ceremony that recaps their careers and immortalizes it forever. I think more players should be let in most Hall of Fames, based simply on the criteria being lowered over the years. I mean no disrespect to Harold Carmichael but if he gets in there's gotta be like 30 WRs who need another look.

Who are some guys you think should be in the Hall of Fame already or ones you think at least deserve another discussion about it? Feel free to embed videos, cite sources, give arguments, that sorta shit. I've been chiseling away at lists of my own for each position the past few months when I get free time, I'll be posting those soon with PFR links and arguments for the most imperative ones. I'll make one of these threads for the MLB at some point too.
__________________



The End. Cut to black. Audience goes fucking apeshit.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:59 AM   #2
TACKS
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Chairman of the Bored
Posts: 4,079
Default

Antonio Brown (4 years from now).
TACKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 03:29 AM   #3
The Alex
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The DMV
Posts: 5,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKS View Post
Antonio Brown (4 years from now).
Can't disagree, he's on my WR list. I've broken down each of the positions by era to make it easier for me. Asterisk means they're currently ineligible.

WR: NFL New Millennium Era (04-20)
Anquan Boldin
Antonio Brown*
Larry Fitzgerald
Tyreek Hill*
Torry Holt
DeSean Jackson*
Andre Johnson
Chad Johnson
Julio Jones*
Cooper Kupp*
Steve Smith
Hines Ward
Reggie Wayne

WR: NFL Post-Merger Era (70-03)
Wes Chandler
Gary Clark
Mark Clayton
Isaac Curtis
Mark Duper
Henry Ellard
Mel Gray
Roy Green
Harold Jackson
John Jefferson
Herman Moore
Stanley Morgan
Mike Quick
Andre Rison
Sterling Sharpe
Jimmy Smith
Gene Washington

WR: NFL/AFL Pre-Merger Era (45-69)
Gino Cappelletti / K
Gary Collins
Boyd Dowler
Charley Hennigan
Harlon Hill
Bill Howton
Homer Jones
Jimmy Orr
Art Powell
Sonny Randle
Del Shofner
Lionel Taylor
Otis Taylor
Warren Wells
Billy Wilson

WR: NFL Origin Era (20-45)
Jim Benton
__________________



The End. Cut to black. Audience goes fucking apeshit.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 03:43 AM   #4
TACKS
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Chairman of the Bored
Posts: 4,079
Default

I feel like there's a apprehension from some people have about having too many WR from this era but I think it's mostly fine. The last 15 years of the NFL has been defined by the passing game. WR play has been better than ever and they just mean more to the game now than they did in the 60s and 70s. Conversely, it makes sense that there would be a disproportionate amount of lineman and linebackers from the earlier eras.
TACKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:00 AM   #5
Lil Quip
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,339
Default

Lavonte David, who I will be honest didn't realize was still playing.

There are just some positions that get forgotten in regards to pro bowls, which is an easy metric for HoF voting. He has more all-pros than pro bowls.

That being said, I think there is a sentiment that he was the best in the league at an unheralded position for close to a decade, and that will go well with HoF voters.

For a homer pick, I'll go with Devin McCourty. His credentials are subpar to say the least. He got passed over by other safeties forever. Also the HoF doesn't know what it is doing with safeties in general, for being such an important position. For all those Brady years, he had epic defenses that needed the general on the other side of the ball.
Lil Quip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:13 AM   #6
TACKS
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Chairman of the Bored
Posts: 4,079
Default

In my lifetime, Asante is The Standard for a ballhawking/playmaking corners. Never seen a CB better at baiting QBs. He'd have more accolades if his best years didn't overlap with the peaks of Champ/Revis/Nnamdi.
TACKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:54 AM   #7
The Alex
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The DMV
Posts: 5,613
Default

The biggest omission among WRs currently to me:

Sterling Sharpe
7 years played, 112 games, 112 starts
1 Receiving Triple Crown
3x Reception leader (most times since the merger, more than Rice)
2x Receiving TD leader
1x Receiving yards leader
5x Pro Bowl selection (more times than Swann, Monk, Joiner, Bruce or Carmichael)
3x 1st Team All-Pro selection (more times than Irvin, Largent, Andre Reed, and Tim Brown combined)
5 1000 yard seasons
4 10 touchdown seasons
16 Game Average: 85 receptions, 1,162 yards, 9 touchdowns
__________________



The End. Cut to black. Audience goes fucking apeshit.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:31 AM   #8
Caddy
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Quip View Post
Lavonte David, who I will be honest didn't realize was still playing.

There are just some positions that get forgotten in regards to pro bowls, which is an easy metric for HoF voting. He has more all-pros than pro bowls.

That being said, I think there is a sentiment that he was the best in the league at an unheralded position for close to a decade, and that will go well with HoF voters.

For a homer pick, I'll go with Devin McCourty. His credentials are subpar to say the least. He got passed over by other safeties forever. Also the HoF doesn't know what it is doing with safeties in general, for being such an important position. For all those Brady years, he had epic defenses that needed the general on the other side of the ball.
I would love to see David get in, but I'm not sure if he's the type, especially when there are a few other guys that have played similar roles during David's time who are probably ahead of him (Kuechly, Wagner etc) - the Superbowl helps, though.

My homer pick is Ronde Barber. Still the only DB with 45+ picks (8 for TD) and 25+ sacks. I'd love for hime to get in one day.
Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:42 AM   #9
Lil Quip
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I would love to see David get in, but I'm not sure if he's the type, especially when there are a few other guys that have played similar roles during David's time who are probably ahead of him (Kuechly, Wagner etc) - the Superbowl helps, though.

My homer pick is Ronde Barber. Still the only DB with 45+ picks (8 for TD) and 25+ sacks. I'd love for hime to get in one day.
I associate Wagner and Kuechly as MLB's where I have always heard that David was more a classic Will.
Lil Quip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:51 AM   #10
Caddy
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Quip View Post
I associate Wagner and Kuechly as MLB's where I have always heard that David was more a classic Will.
I was thinking about it more as grouping them as off-ball linebackers. If the hall is thoughtful enough to consider off-ball linebackers as either inside or outside then I think David is probably the best of the past decade.
Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:41 PM   #11
The Alex
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The DMV
Posts: 5,613
Default

Charley Hennigan
7 years played, 95 games, 85 starts
1x Reception leader
2x Receiving yards leader
5x AFL All-Star selection
3x 1st Team All-AFL

In 1961, he started all 14 games and put up 1,746 yards, a record that stood for 34 years. His 124.7 yards per game is still the best mark ever for a player in a non-strike year. It's quite possibly the best season of all-time for a receiver. He put up three 200 yard games, no receiver has done that in the 60 years of organized football since then. He also eclipsed the 100 yard mark 11 different times, a mark that's only been equaled by Michael Irvin and Calvin Johnson. His 822 yards in October the most ever in a single month too.

In 1964, he won his second receiving crown with 1,546 yards, becoming the first receiver ever with multiple 1,500 yard seasons. More importantly he became only the second player ever to eclipse 100 receptions with 101, besting Lionel Taylor's mark from 1961 by 1. Those 101 receptions stood as a record until 1984 when Art Monk put up 106. It's also more receptions than TO ever put up in a year too.

If you go by the numbers this guy was the biggest threat on the field in the AFL. Why isn't he in the Hall?
__________________



The End. Cut to black. Audience goes fucking apeshit.

Last edited by The Alex; 12-26-2022 at 10:44 PM.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:46 PM   #12
Lil Quip
Super Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
Charley Hennigan
7 years played, 95 games, 85 starts
1x Reception leader
2x Receiving yards leader
5x AFL All-Star selection
3x 1st Team All-AFL

In 1961, he started all 14 games and put up 1,746 yards, a record that stood for 34 years. His 124.7 yards per game is still the best mark ever for a player in a non-strike year. It's quite possibly the best season of all-time for a receiver. He put up three 200 yard games, no receiver has done that in the 60 years of organized football since then. He also eclipsed the 100 yard mark 11 different times, a mark that's only been equaled by Michael Irvin and Calvin Johnson. His 822 yards in October the most ever in a single month too.

In 1964, he won his second receiving crown with 1,546 yards, becoming the first receiver ever with multiple 1,500 yard seasons. More importantly he became only the second player ever to eclipse 100 receptions with 101, besting Lionel Taylor's mark from 1961 by 1. Those 101 receptions stood as a record until 1984 when Art Monk put up 106. It's also more receptions than TO ever put up in a year too.

If you go by the numbers this guy was the biggest threat on the field in the AFL. Why isn't he in the Hall?
He wasn't Don Hutson? Easy Senior committee candidate, no questions asked.
Lil Quip is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.