For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > Sports Discussion

Old 03-11-2021, 02:06 AM   #1
The Alex
Super Senior Member

Default Dream Teams

If you could have your own personal Dream Team from any sport, who would be on it? Think of it like how Madden used to make his All-Madden Team but actually try to adhere to the roster rules of your given sport. Pick anybody all-time or make it current, or any given year, or make your own limitations like "My Dream All-Time Lakers Rotation" or whatever the fuck, I think this pretty much explains the premise.

The End. Cut to black. Audience goes fucking apeshit.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:36 AM   #2
The Alex
Super Senior Member

I've had a load of time to kill these past few months. Here is what I think my all-time NFL dream team would look like and I suspect they would go 16-0 for at least few years in any era, but especially today, unless the league did the right thing and abolished the cap because this would be the most enjoyable juggernaut roster ever conceived and I don't think most of these guys would bitch about playing time because I tried to somewhat balance out the bench players. If I had cloning technology or a time machine or maybe even the Whiterose project underneath the power plant, this is what I would do with it.

TEAM IDENTITY
Team Name: Honolulu Reef Sharks
Colors: Silver, Turquoise, Sky Blue, Dark Purple, White
Home Stadium: "The Tank"
Offensive Scheme: 2019 LSU Spread Passing Game + Joe Gibbs Running Game + Navy Flexbone Option (think of it like our Wildcat)
Defensive Scheme: Zone Blitz 3-4

FRONT OFFICE
Owner: Jack Kent Cooke
President of Football Operations: Bill Parcells
General Manager: Ron Wolf
Assistant General Manager: Bobby Beathard
Director of Player Personnel: Dick Haley
Director of Pro Scouting: Mike Holovak
Director of College Scouting: Bill Nunn

COACHES
Head Coach: Joe Gibbs

Associate Head Coach - Offense: Al Saunders
Associate Head Coach - Defense: Wade Phillips

Passing Game Coordinator / Wide Receivers Coach: Joe Brady
Quarterbacks Coach: Norm Chow
Running Backs Coach: Don Breaux
Tight Ends Coach: Mike Pope
Offensive Line Coach: Joe Bugel
Option Game Assistant: Paul Johnson
Senior Offensive Assistant: Tom Moore

Defensive Coordinator: Dick LeBeau
Defensive Line Coach: Rex Ryan
Linebackers Coach: Vic Fangio
Secondary Coach: Raheem Morris
Defensive Assistant: Todd Bowles
Senior Defensive Assistant: Jim Johnson

Special Teams Coordinator: Alan Lowry

53-MAN ROSTER
Quarterbacks
#2, Doug Flutie, QB
#15, Patrick Mahomes, QB
#19, Keenan Reynolds, QB / HB / WR

Running Backs
#34, Bo Jackson, HB
#76, Marion Motley, FB
#35, Christian Okoye, HB / FB
#27, Terrance West, HB

Wide Receivers
#11, Larry Fitzgerald, WR
#22, “Bullet” Bob Hayes, WR
#86, Raghib “The Rocket” Ismail, WR / KR
#84, Randy Moss, WR
#89, Steve Tasker, WR / Gunner
#87, Kelley Washington, WR / Gunner

Tight Ends
#85, Vernon Davis, TE
#49, Russ Francis, TE
#40, Jim Kleinsasser, TE / H-Back
#88, Morris Stroud, TE

Offensive Linemen
#73, Larry Allen, OG
#70, Jermon Bushrod, OT
#65, Patrick Mannelly, LS / OG
#74, Bruce Matthews, C / OG / OT
#61, Nate Newton, OG / OT
#79, Jonathan Ogden, OT
#75, Orlando Pace, OT
#77, Jim Parker, OG
#50, Dave Rimington, C

Defensive Linemen
#71, Ernie Ladd, DT
#90, Jevon Kearse, DE / OLB
#66, William Perry, DT / FB
#93, John Randle, DT
#78, Bubba Smith, DE
#97, Isaac Sopoaga, DT
#99, J.J. Watt, DE / TE
#92, Reggie White, DE

Linebackers
#44, Brian Bosworth, ILB
#37, Hardy Brown, LB / Gunner
#51, Dick Butkus, ILB
#47, David Pollack, OLB
#55, Junior Seau, ILB / OLB
#56, Lawrence Taylor, OLB
#96, Adalius Thomas, LB / DE
#58, Derrick Thomas, OLB

Defensive Backs
#28, Darrell Green, CB
#81, Dick “Night Train” Lane, CB / S
#29, Albert Lewis, CB
#39, Mark McMillian, CB
#31, Bernard Pollard, S
#20, Ed Reed, S
#21, Deion Sanders, CB / WR / KR / PR
#36, Sean Taylor, S
#26, Rod Woodson, CB

Special Teams
#33, Sammy Baugh, P / QB / FS
#1, Jim Thorpe, K / HB / DB

Practice Squad
#53, James Cowser, OLB
#24, Brad Crawford, CB
#48, Kevin Dent, S
#67, Barrett Jones, C / OG / OT
#52, Pat Fitzgerald, ILB
#69, Brock Lesnar, DL / LB
#13, Jared Lorenzen, QB
#17, Rondel Menendez, WR / PR
#98, Andre “The Giant” Roussimoff, DT
#95, Bill Royce, OLB
#30, Rod “He Hate Me” Smart, HB / KR
#57, Andre Wadsworth, OLB / DE

DEPTH CHART
Spoiler!

I'll post a depth chart when I find a good template online. I'll also explain more about the roles and profiles of the players too. I realize I have fullbacks and Gibbs barely used them but Marion Motley is only for rare use anyway and Gibbs still utilized Mark Sellers during his second stint in Washington. And yes, I'm also aware I lack modern kickers but Jim Thorpe will figure it out.

Probe me for questions about the team and the selections, it'll help me write.

Last edited by The Alex; 03-11-2021 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:42 AM   #3
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

I fucking love the practice squad. The defense is mean, the offence is explosive, and Doug Flutie is magic
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:49 AM   #4
The Alex
Super Senior Member

The Redskins considered signing Andre The Giant in 1976, he only turned it down because he was making way more money in wrestling. There's no reason I can't offer him a lifetime supply of beer to keep him employed as a practice squad guy.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2014/7/16/...h-the-redskins

Old 03-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
badger
Super Senior Member

Tell me about the David Pollack selection. Are you imagining him turning into a much better player if he wasn't injured or are you thinking better players would give you ego problems if they were only playing special teams?

Is Terrance West playing the 3rd down role? Obviously it probably doesn't matter with the rest of the offense, but I wonder if you could find someone better there.

I think the Hefty Lefty on the practice squad is my favorite pick. Pretty awesome overall. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #6
Don Vito
Super Senior Member

I just want to party with that practice squad. Besides Barrett Jones.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #7
The Alex
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Tell me about the David Pollack selection. Are you imagining him turning into a much better player if he wasn't injured or are you thinking better players would give you ego problems if they were only playing special teams?
David Pollack is there as a depth 3-4 outside linebacker. If I grab him at age 23, prior to his horrific injury, there's no reason he can't develop into a beast in a role similar to how the Ravens used Jarret Johnson when he was young. Keep in mind that Pollack had 36 sacks in his NCAA career and won all sorts of accolades. He just never got the shot to showcase that ability in the NFL.

Quote:
Is Terrance West playing the 3rd down role? Obviously it probably doesn't matter with the rest of the offense, but I wonder if you could find someone better there.
West isn't going to see many carries behind Bo, Okoye, and Motley but I had to include someone from Towson while I was there.

Quote:
I think the Hefty Lefty on the practice squad is my favorite pick. Pretty awesome overall. Thanks for sharing it.
Someone has to take over third string responsibilities if it's too much for Sammy Baugh to understand the modern game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I just want to party with that practice squad. Besides Barrett Jones.
I needed an offensive linemen who could play three positions that other teams wouldn't poach from the practice squad.

The pick I'm happiest with is Jim Thorpe at kicker. He's the best athlete of the first half of the 20th century and he can be used in our flexbone offense when we wanna run out the clock.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:30 PM   #8
badger
Super Senior Member

I don't think I'm going to do a whole 53 man roster, but I'll at least do skill positions for now. Maybe I'll add more later.

Quarterbacks
#7, Michael Vick, QB
#8, Lamar Jackson, QB

Running Backs
#34, Bo Jackson, HB
#28, Adrian Peterson, HB
#83, Cordarrelle Patterson, HB/KR/WR
#33, Greg Jones, HB/FB/TE

Wide Receivers
#84, Randy Moss, WR
#17, Tyreek Hill, WR
#27, Jordy Nelson, WR
#10, DeSean Jackson, WR
#11, Percy Harvin, WR/KR/HB
#23, Devin Hester, PR/WR/HB

Tight Ends
#85, George Kittle, TE
#87, Rob Gronkowski, TE
#18, Vernon Davis, TE

I'd want a bunch of run blocking maulers on the OL. Mostly pistol formation and Harvin/Hester would be running fly sweep action frequently to essentially turn it into a triple option/deep play action offense. Defense would be threatened horizontally and vertically, while also needing to defend against explosive power between the tackles. If they manage to protect against all that, then there is just Vick/Lamar's scrambling left.

Probably are better QBs, but it's my dream and I'm having fun with it. I'm a little uncomfortable with the number of Vikings/Bears players on this team, but I guess it shows they've scared me over the years haha

Edit: Realized I had two #10s. Made Tyreek change because he's a garbage human.

Last edited by badger; 03-11-2021 at 03:57 PM.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:47 PM   #9
The Alex
Super Senior Member

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT

#49, Russ Francis, TE

PFJ ranks him as the 9th best TE of all-time, 3rd as a blocker, and 7th in speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFootballJournal
"Maybe the best athlete among all these players, and that is saying a lot. He was a 6-6, 245-pound marvel who ran a 4.6 barefoot (legendarily). He played with the Patriots when they were a run-heavy team and then traded to the 49ers (after sitting out a season) where they threw a lot but Francis had to split time with other tight ends. He just didn't get targeted much but if he came out today he'd be like a more athletic/faster Travis Kelce or a smaller, faster Gronkowski.

Buchsbaum said that wandering concentration caused him to not make the most of his skill set (6-6, 245, 135-138 IQ) and that if he converted his talent into production he would be the NFL's best-ever tight end. "A large, athletic receiver who blocks like a third tackle", wrote Buchsbaum.

Proscout Inc., is even higher on Francis, rating him as one of top three blockers from the tight end position ever based on film study. In fact, they rate him even high all-time than we do. They ask, as a WR "who would cover him?".

He could have been the best ever but in our view, he likely looked at football as a paycheck to fund things we wanted to do in life, like flying, surfing, etc. Also, in his era, there were few offensive coordinators that were creative in the use of tight ends.

The Chargers and Browns featured their tight ends but the Patriots and 49ers didn't. And incredibly Francis played for a pair of the best-ever offensive coordinators,—Ron Erhardt and Bill Walsh. But both of them just didn't do what a couple of others did, and they likely had great reasons.

Erhardt was a fun-first/play action guy and Walsh liked to run but featured short passing game, looking deep to short. It's not a criticism to say they didn't feature Francis, it's just a reality. They featured his blocking more and the occasional lightning strike up the pipe.

So, it adds up to the fact that Francis was a Hall of Fame talent that was asked to do the dirty work of a tight end but he had the skills/talent that exceeds almost everyone on this list. He also played hurt, had a career-high in receptions in 1985 when he began the season with a neck injury.

He was a Pro Bowler/First- or Second-team All-AFC level in 1976, 77, 78, and 80 and a Second-team All-Pro in 1976-78."
Quote:
Francis appeared in a 20-man battle royal at WrestleMania 2 along with other NFL stars. He is the son of wrestling promoter Ed Francis, He briefly competed full-time in the American Wrestling Association after retiring from football. He also competed in the National Wrestling Alliance's NWA Hawaii where he held the NWA Hawaii Tag Team Championship one time with his older brother, Billy Roy Francis.

What better TE for Mahomes than a better version of Kelce? Also, our team is located in Hawaii and it's only appropriate for Russ to be on the team.

Last edited by The Alex; 03-11-2021 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:14 PM   #10
yfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
David Pollack is there as a depth 3-4 outside linebacker. If I grab him at age 23, prior to his horrific injury, there's no reason he can't develop into a beast in a role similar to how the Ravens used Jarret Johnson when he was young. Keep in mind that Pollack had 36 sacks in his NCAA career and won all sorts of accolades. He just never got the shot to showcase that ability in the NFL.

West isn't going to see many carries behind Bo, Okoye, and Motley but I had to include someone from Towson while I was there.

Someone has to take over third string responsibilities if it's too much for Sammy Baugh to understand the modern game.

I needed an offensive linemen who could play three positions that other teams wouldn't poach from the practice squad.

The pick I'm happiest with is Jim Thorpe at kicker. He's the best athlete of the first half of the 20th century and he can be used in our flexbone offense when we wanna run out the clock.
my theory is that zimmer loved anthony barr because that's who he wanted pollack to be
Old 03-11-2021, 08:26 PM   #11
The Alex
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfs View Post
my theory is that zimmer loved anthony barr because that's who he wanted pollack to be
I think if Pollack hadn't gotten injured he would've developed into a solid Mike Vrabel type versatile linebacker and possibly even Bryce Paup at his peak.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:33 PM   #12
The Alex
Super Senior Member

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT

#37, Hardy Brown, LB / Gunner

Quote:
There’ll never be another player like Hardy Brown, the linebacker-anesthesiologist for the 49ers in the ’50s. Compared to Hardy, Jack “They Call Me Assassin” Tatum sold Girl Scout cookies.

If you need further proof of the man’s menace, read this fabulous piece by Bob O’Donnell (taken from our 1990 book, The Pro Football Chronicle). To get you started, here’s a visual: Brown — aiming high, as always — about to reduce Browns quarterback Otto Graham to cracker crumbs.

Y.A. Tittle claims in his book, I Pass, that Brown knocked out 21 opponents as a 49er in ’51 – including, in the preseason, the Washington Redskins’ entire starting backfield. That might be an exaggeration; who kept an accurate count of such things? But Brown inspired exaggeration. Ex-players speak of him the way fight people speak of Sonny Liston.

“To me, Hardy Brown was the most unique player ever,” Coulter says. “Think of it this way: What Hardy Brown was all about in football wasn’t physical. Hardy was a psychic occurrence.”

Brown may have been most dangerous on special teams, where it was easier to freelance and there was a field full of targets. Lions linebacker Carl Brettschneider said one of Brown’s favorite tactics on punts was to line up behind an official so the opposing center couldn’t see him, then catch him with The Shoulder as soon as he raised his head after the snap.

“He broke more jaws than any guy going,” Brettschneider said.

Brown loved to talk about those bone-rattling blows. He apparently didn’t lose any sleep over the injuries he caused, either. He also missed a lot of tackles because he aimed for the head.

Quite simply, Hardy Brown is the most dangerous football player to ever live. I want him on my team and I want him knocking motherfuckers out on special teams.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:46 PM   #13
The Alex
Super Senior Member

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT

#1, Jim Thorpe, K / HB / DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Eisenhower
"As one who played against him in football more than 40 years ago, I personally feel no other athlete possessed his all around abilities in games and sports"
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Halas
"He was a great defensive player—if he hit you from behind, he’d throw that big body across your back and damn near break you in two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
"He was the best natural athlete ever. No matter what sport he turned to, he was a magnificent performer. He had all the strength, speed and coordination of the finest players plus incredible stamina. His memory should be kept for what it deserves—that of the greatest all around athlete of our time."
Quote:
Jim Thorpe is known as one of the world’s greatest athletes of his time — as an Olympic champion and professional football legend. A statue of Jim Thorpe stands at the entrance to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The inscription on the statue reads, “Jim Thorpe was named first team Walter Camp All American in 1911 and 1912. He won gold medals in the decathlon and pentathlon in the 1912 Olympics, played professional baseball and in 1920 was elected the first president of what became the National Football League. He was the first great performer of that league, its highest paid player, both the precursor and prototype of the weapons of modern football.”

Thorpe’s athletic achievements at the collegiate level were at the Carlisle Indian Institute in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, which competed against the major universities of the time. On a return to Carlisle in 1941, Thorpe stood in the middle of the field and drop-kicked a football over the goal. He then turned and place-kicked a field goal over the other end zone — at the age of 52 and wearing street shoes.

The greatest athlete of the first half of the 20th century belongs on my all-time dream football team. Imagine the way he and Bo Jackson could bond. I'd primarily use him as a kicker and a slotback in my flexbone option formation, plus some playing time as a defensive back.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:54 PM   #14
The Alex
Super Senior Member

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT

#71, Ernie Ladd, DT

PFJ ranks Ladd as the 30th best 4-3 DT of all-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFootballJournal
The Big Cat who was a pro wrestler as well, was 6-9, 335 pounds. At times he was dominant (he had a 4½-sack game) but also didn’t always seem to give full effort. He, at his peak, could have been the best, but gripes about pay and other issues held him back.

Ladd played eight years and was an All-AFL choice three times (1961 and 1964-65) and was an AFL All-Star from 1962-65 giving him post-season honors in all five seasons as a Charger. He played for the Oilers for a year and a half and the Chiefs a year and a half to close his career.
Quote:
Ladd was said to be the biggest and strongest man in professional football during his era. His physical measurements included a 52-inch chest, 39-inch waist, 20-inch biceps, 19-inch neck, and size 18D shoes.

An absolute unit and I had to have one Hall of Fame wrestler on the main roster.

Last edited by The Alex; 03-11-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:35 AM   #15
The Alex
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I don't think I'm going to do a whole 53 man roster, but I'll at least do skill positions for now. Maybe I'll add more later.

Quarterbacks
#7, Michael Vick, QB
#8, Lamar Jackson, QB

Running Backs
#34, Bo Jackson, HB
#28, Adrian Peterson, HB
#83, Cordarrelle Patterson, HB/KR/WR
#33, Greg Jones, HB/FB/TE

Wide Receivers
#84, Randy Moss, WR
#17, Tyreek Hill, WR
#27, Jordy Nelson, WR
#10, DeSean Jackson, WR
#11, Percy Harvin, WR/KR/HB
#23, Devin Hester, PR/WR/HB

Tight Ends
#85, George Kittle, TE
#87, Rob Gronkowski, TE
#18, Vernon Davis, TE

I'd want a bunch of run blocking maulers on the OL. Mostly pistol formation and Harvin/Hester would be running fly sweep action frequently to essentially turn it into a triple option/deep play action offense. Defense would be threatened horizontally and vertically, while also needing to defend against explosive power between the tackles. If they manage to protect against all that, then there is just Vick/Lamar's scrambling left.

Probably are better QBs, but it's my dream and I'm having fun with it. I'm a little uncomfortable with the number of Vikings/Bears players on this team, but I guess it shows they've scared me over the years haha

Edit: Realized I had two #10s. Made Tyreek change because he's a garbage human.

I love the idea of taking the premiere rushing quarterbacks and building a triple option out of it. It's why I felt the need to give Keenan Reynolds a spot on my team, well that and being the best football player to grace Annapolis since Staubach.

Why the objection to Tyreek being a garbage human but not Vick?

Old 03-12-2021, 04:15 AM   #16
Brodie
LeBron James is a bitch

Do you have Bernard Pollard on here solely because of the fact that he tore Brady's ACL
Old 03-12-2021, 04:34 AM   #17
The Alex
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Do you have Bernard Pollard on here solely because of the fact that he tore Brady's ACL
Yes.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #18
badger
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alex View Post
I love the idea of taking the premiere rushing quarterbacks and building a triple option out of it. It's why I felt the need to give Keenan Reynolds a spot on my team, well that and being the best football player to grace Annapolis since Staubach.

Why the objection to Tyreek being a garbage human but not Vick?
I mean, he's still on the team because he's ridiculously fast and explosive. He just loses his jersey number to a guy lower on the depth chart for being a piece of crap. But yeah, I have multiple garbage humans on the team with Hill, Vick, and child beating Peterson.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:54 AM   #19
The Alex
Super Senior Member

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT

#19, Keenan Reynolds, QB / HB / WR

The all-time leader in career NCAA rushing touchdowns. There's no reason the flexbone option can't be used in a similar manner to how the Dolphins used the Wildcat except with my Sharks we wouldn't use it that much, it's used exclusively for one schedlued series a game, running out the clock, taking mercy late in games, and bad weather that prevents our usual high flying passing game. There's no better person to quarterback this formation and package of plays than Keenan Reynolds. He's not the fastest QB ever and he doesn't have a great arm but he doesn't need either of those in this role, he just needs to make the same reads he's made his whole college career. Keep it or hand the ball to Bo Jackson at FB, toss it to the the slotback duo of Jim Thorpe and Rocket Ismail, or throw a quick pass to Larry Fitzgerald. He also provides a solid depth option for both HB and WR if anyone gets hurt. Lastly, he was the true winner of the 2015 Heisman trophy until it was rigged by the aliens from They Live.