For The Sports  

Go Back   For The Sports > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2021, 07:00 PM   #3021
towelie
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
no, but he still has influence within certain GOP circles.

to say that he is "in the past," is to say that he has no impact and I would disagree with that.
seaman ticks bro
towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #3022
Brent
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Someone smarter than Trump is gonna win in 2024
everyone's favorite Florida governor seems to be the front runner
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:21 PM   #3023
Zak
LeBron James is a bitch

Cuomo announcing vaccinated and non-vaccinated sections of outdoor stadiums yesterday. Non Vax are mask and 6 feet of distance. Vax sections are mask and non 6 feet.

This is the kind of dumb stuff we're seeing now. Might as well sit in the non vax section to get that extra room.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:21 PM   #3024
scottyboy
Super Senior Member

Dumb. Going to those events is a privilege, not a right. You wanna go? Get vaccinated. That simple
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:51 PM   #3025
Zak
LeBron James is a bitch

It's just really dumb in the vax section you would need to wear a mask still as well. I don't mind wearing when needed but in that situation it does not call for it.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:58 PM   #3026
fenikz
LeBron James is a bitch

I thought closing beaches and stuff was always dumb too

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:01 PM   #3027
Dr. Gonzo
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
It's just really dumb in the vax section you would need to wear a mask still as well. I don't mind wearing when needed but in that situation it does not call for it.
The situation does call for it. Health experts have called for everyone to continue to wear masks until a majority of the population is vaccinated.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:03 PM   #3028
Forenci
Super Senior Member

Quote:
I mean, the vaccine isn't 100% effective. Seems like a reasonable precaution.

Also, they should just charge double on the tickets for the non-vax section. It makes sense too since they have to socially distance and it takes up seats that otherwise could be occupied.
Forenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #3029
Zak
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
The situation does call for it. Health experts have called for everyone to continue to wear masks until a majority of the population is vaccinated.
It does not call for it in this circumstance. If you're outside and amongst all other vaccinated people the rate of transmission is pretty much 0. If you're walking around the stadium with a bunch of other people fine but in your section it is not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I mean, the vaccine isn't 100% effective. Seems like a reasonable precaution.

Also, they should just charge double on the tickets for the non-vax section. It makes sense too since they have to socially distance and it takes up seats that otherwise could be occupied.
As I said above the virus doesn't transmit in these circumstances. The CDC said you can be unmasked indoors with everyone else who is vaxxed. Why then outside would you need one when they also said the virus barely transmits outside? If I want to go to a game in this setting it is an inconvenience to wear a mask in 85 degree weather when the science says otherwise in this particular situation. Cuomo is very wrong here.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #3030
towelie
LeBron James is a bitch

isn't it kinda obvious this is cuomo trying to gain goodwill from constituents. the concentration of people in NYC requires a more cautious reopening imo.

bread and circus to distract from his scandals (that seem long gone now?)
Old 05-06-2021, 04:51 PM   #3031
Forenci
Super Senior Member

Quote:
It does not call for it in this circumstance. If you're outside and amongst all other vaccinated people the rate of transmission is pretty much 0. If you're walking around the stadium with a bunch of other people fine but in your section it is not needed.

As I said above the virus doesn't transmit in these circumstances. The CDC said you can be unmasked indoors with everyone else who is vaxxed. Why then outside would you need one when they also said the virus barely transmits outside? If I want to go to a game in this setting it is an inconvenience to wear a mask in 85 degree weather when the science says otherwise in this particular situation. Cuomo is very wrong here.
I mean. You've been to games. You're PACKED in next to people (even though it's outdoors). Yes, we believe the vaccine helps to prevent transmission (though this isn't widely known or researched yet).

Likewise, when the CDC releases guidelines it's based on normal conditions. You being with a few friends in your house or at a small gathering at work and separated by a marginal distance is a lot different than being packed like sardines in a stadium with thousands of people. Not to mention variants are still a complete unknown with some being more spreadable and resistant to vaccines.

Stop being silly just because you have to deal with a minor inconvenience. It seems like in these mass gatherings it's far better to take extra precautions than not. I've closely followed CDC guidelines (I don't wear my mask outside now, even though I feel weird/guilty about it), but they're not a one-size-fits-all prescription.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:56 PM   #3032
towelie
LeBron James is a bitch

definitely need to err towards caution, but there have been some large outdoor events and i haven't read anything about negative consequences (i.e. the rangers home opener)

Old 05-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #3033
Zak
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I mean. You've been to games. You're PACKED in next to people (even though it's outdoors). Yes, we believe the vaccine helps to prevent transmission (though this isn't widely known or researched yet).

Likewise, when the CDC releases guidelines it's based on normal conditions. You being with a few friends in your house or at a small gathering at work and separated by a marginal distance is a lot different than being packed like sardines in a stadium with thousands of people. Not to mention variants are still a complete unknown with some being more spreadable and resistant to vaccines.

Stop being silly just because you have to deal with a minor inconvenience. It seems like in these mass gatherings it's far better to take extra precautions than not. I've closely followed CDC guidelines (I don't wear my mask outside now, even though I feel weird/guilty about it), but they're not a one-size-fits-all prescription.
Hygiene theater really is a great description for this type of stuff. It is not being silly. There isn't a one size fit all but Cuomo's science in NY is better than Murphy in NJ or Baker in Mass! The absolute infinitesimal chance that the virus transmits outdoors among all vaccinated people makes wearing a mask in hot weather more than a minor inconvenience.

There have been some situations outdoors with a lot of people less vaxxed than now and you don't hear anything about spread from them.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:28 PM   #3034
dg151
LeBron James is a bitch

Quote:

The CDC still recommends masks for crowded outdoor events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
Please don't berate me for being insanely right, all the time.
dg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:33 PM   #3035
Forenci
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Hygiene theater really is a great description for this type of stuff. It is not being silly. There isn't a one size fit all but Cuomo's science in NY is better than Murphy in NJ or Baker in Mass! The absolute infinitesimal chance that the virus transmits outdoors among all vaccinated people makes wearing a mask in hot weather more than a minor inconvenience.

There have been some situations outdoors with a lot of people less vaxxed than now and you don't hear anything about spread from them.
Hygiene theater? I literally just gave you multiple legitimate (science-based) reasons why it might not be a bad idea to still wear masks in those situations.

And just as Cuomo (who is a scum bag, fwiw) might not know what's based, what makes those other governors any less or more right?

Until the CDC releases updated guidelines on stadiums, mass gatherings, etc. I don't think this is a bad idea.

And just for the record, Zak, the CDC guidelines still currently advise wearing a mask for large gatherings like sporting events. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...atherings.html

Damn it, DG beat me to it.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #3036
Zak
LeBron James is a bitch

You had the wrong link. It does say for vaxxed people should wear a mask in larger venues but they do not say amongst all other fully vaxxed. If I ever go I'll of course follow the rules but it is theater in this type of situation as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...accinated.html
Old 05-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #3037
Prock
LeBron James is a bitch

The amount of energy people are spending worrying about people being overly cautious is fucking stupid.
Prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #3038
Forenci
Super Senior Member

Quote:
You had the wrong link. It does say for vaxxed people should wear a mask in larger venues but they do not say amongst all other fully vaxxed. If I ever go I'll of course follow the rules but it is theater in this type of situation as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...accinated.html
God damn it, did you even read it, Zak?

Regarding what you can do when you're vaccinated:

"You can gather or conduct activities outdoors without wearing a mask except in certain crowded settings and venues." Pretty sure stadiums would constitute crowded venues.

Also, it was not the wrong link. The guidelines for large gatherings HAVE NOT been updated, again, probably because there are still numerous unknowns that I mentioned previously.

Wait for the updated guidelines from the CDC before you cast judgment too quickly because of some minor inconveniences. Yes, sorry, wearing a mask outdoors (even in the heat) is a minor inconvenience.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:54 PM   #3039
Jughead
LeBron James is a bitch

Aren't they all still socially distanced anyway? I went to a game the other day and didn't wear a mask in my seat, only when I stood up and was anywhere but my seat.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:20 PM   #3040
Forenci
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Aren't they all still socially distanced anyway? I went to a game the other day and didn't wear a mask in my seat, only when I stood up and was anywhere but my seat.
I think this is new stuff Zak is referring to? I'm not in NY, but that's the way it sounded. And if you're socially distanced outside, that's probably fine I'd assume. This sounded like they were going to have vaccinated sections in stadiums where there would be no social distancing.

Tags
the wind of god